Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket in sous vide and smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket in sous vide and smoker

I've got a point curing now. This Saturday I plan on applying rub and smoking unil IT is 150F or so then placing into the sous vide cooker. My questions are smoke first then sous vide or the opposite? Also what final IT should I shoot for? I've seen ranges from 165F to 200F+.

Goal is montreal smoked meat sandwich. Any suggestions are appreciated.

I find sous vide then smoke is better for me. The right amount of time-temperature in the water will tenderize, whether you are pulling or slicing may change your target temperature.

Comment

In the other corner.......

I've never cooked a point, they're rarer then hen's teeth around here, so I have to settle for prime flat. (poor me) I've been smoking to 150, bagging and refrigerating overnight and finally sous vide at 155 for 36 hours. Juicy and classic texture. Leftovers refrigerated and then sliced thin on an electric slicer make dyno-mite sammiches.

Comment

Sounds a lot like pastrami. Maybe try this method: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...astrami-recipe

Comment

I’m a sous vide and then smoke person. I have been using the 155 degree sous vide temp that Kenji recommended for 36 hours on average. I then cool in fridge and then smoke from cold. I shoot for a minimum of 165 but if other things get in the way like other guests arriving late or something else isn’t done yet, going higher doesn’t seem to hurt the brisket.

Comment

Why so long in the sous vide? I've done a beef tenderloin in a few hours.

Comment

Tenderloin is way different from brisket, NukeGuy . As the sous-vide experts say, time is tenderness. When you start with a tender piece, it doesn't have to stay in the hot tub as long as a tougher piece of meat.

Kathryn

Comment

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                MBMorgan GIGGEM!

• MBMorgan
                MBMorgan commented
                Editing a comment
                texastweeter - At risk of giving away my grad school alma mater, I believe you may have misspelled "Hook "em (horns)”.

That said, I should confess that I went to UTD ... where most of us didn’t even realize we had a football team 🙄.

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                MBMorgan why do you think I call my beef rub BEv0 bark?

Brisket is tough. 155 for 30 hours will work. So will 135 for 52-72 hours. The SV step needs time to break down all that collagen into gelatin at low temperatures. Straight smoke roast accomplishes the tenderness in 8-14 hrs depending on temp. Can do the same tenderization in ~60-80 minutes in a pressure cooker (around 250F).

Initial smoke has some benefit but the post smoke from chilled is absolutely required for a good result.

Tenderloin is already tender and has little connective tissue so with SV you only really need to get it to the desired temperature.

Comment

Smoke-SV-Smoke has been my best results but I’m also happy with SV-Smoke. The post SV smoke in addition to introducing more smoke also firms up the bark.

Time and temp would depend on what texture you are shoot. I like 155 for 30ish hours for "typical" brisket texture.

Using a brisket point I have also done smoked, sous vide, burnt ends which were amazing. After sous vide, I cubed it, mixed with sauce and then cooked for another 1-2 hrs.

Comment

Thanks, makes sense. I'll let you know how it turns out. Into the post around 6 this evening!

Comment

30 hours in the sous vide and now in the fridge. Will smoke later today or Monday (Holiday here). I'll let you know.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	7C4234B6-9B3D-43EE-9E17-1FE94F0E952D.jpeg
Views:	286
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	803506 Just out of the smoker. 36 hr sous vide the in the fridge. Smoked for 3 hours over hickory.

amazing! Thanks for the help. Click image for larger version

Name:	8DE6217B-1914-41E2-8FF1-39F30881AA1A.jpeg
Views:	288
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	803505
                      Attached Files

Comment

Looks really good. Did you SV at 155°?

Smoke at 350° to what internal temp?

Would you say the texture was "brisket-like" only of course very tender?

Thanks!

Kathryn

Comment

SV @ 165F for 26 hours then into the fridge for about 8 hours. Smoker at 225F with IT at 120F.

Yes brisket texture but fall apart. Sourdough bread and hot mustard sandwich.

My butcher wants me to do one for him now.

Comment

That looks perfect! I did a TX style whole packer a few weekends ago. Kept it simple... Salt and Pepper and into a SV bag. If I remember correctly (I don't have my notes with me) I did 140 degrees for about 55 hours. Then ice bath to quick cool and chilled in the fridge overnight. Next morning it went on the Weber 22" kettle (with the Slow N Sear). Kept the kettle around 240 and threw on a couple of chunks of post oak and brought the brisket up to about 135 degrees.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here