Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry Aged Flavor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry Aged Flavor

Hi all. I dry aged a chunk of choice ribeye over late December/late January for 33 days, using an UMAI dry bag. After trimming, I was left with six small steaks. I dry brined two overnight and grilled them up to med rare/med. The ladyfriend and I were trying to assess the flavor, and the best we could come up with was that it tasted like the "dark meat" on pork. We both couldn’t find any other flavors or descriptors after we settled on that. Has anyone else had a similar experience from home dry aging?
    Attached Files

How would you compare this to regular dry aged steak?

Comment

• jghorton
      jghorton commented
      Editing a comment
      I can’t compare. I’ve never had a dry aged steak beyond the first time I did the home dry aged thing.

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      time to visit the butcher shop. FOR SCIENCE!

This past weekend I saw a video from Jess Pryles where she tested the dry aging bags vs. regular dry aging:

Based on what she was saying there wasn't a great dry aged flavor in the beef she aged in a bag in her regular fridge. But a separate dry aging fridge does make a huge difference. Not sure if you are experiencing the same thing she did or something else.

Comment

• jghorton
      jghorton commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m thinking the separate fridge is the way to go. Thanks for sharing the video JoeSousa!

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      I think the dedicated fridge is the way to go but you don't want, as I understand it, just a fridge. You want some airflow, etc. I think she has posts on it and I know other do.
      Last edited by rickgregory; February 10, 2020, 06:35 PM.

I get the advantage of the video format but damn, I'm not watching 23 minutes of unscripted rambling to get the info... sometimes written words are fine.

She cut the same primal in thirds which was an interesting experiment but what I'd have liked to seen in addition to comparing dry aging in the bags with dry aging in a dedicated setup is for her to have vacsealed the final 1/3, frozen it, then compared. The "dry aged in a Umai bag in her dedicated setup" third was really a waste, since people with a dedicated setup likely aren't using the bags and vice versa.

To me, the question is "does the dry aging in a bag materially change the flavor of the beef vs the fresh version AND is it generally considered an improvement"?
    Last edited by rickgregory; February 10, 2020, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here