Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st Brisket - Go for Flat or Point Temp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st Brisket - Go for Flat or Point Temp?

Howdy all,

I've got my first brisket on my Rec Tec 580 for about 10 hours now. I've got probes in the point and the flat. Brisket is a 14lb prime packer from Costco, trimmed and left whole.

It's through the stall now (or at least the point is). Both temps started progressing after the stall, but now the point has gone on a run while the flat has stayed...well, flat. Flat is at 171 and seems to be stalled again, Point is up to 184. (Note that I haven't gone in with instant read and verified these placements yet, but based on behavior to this point I'm pretty comfortable with them).

So, If the point hits 203 before the flat, do I pull it? Or do I wait for the flat? I think the fattier point can survive the extra time. But I also thought the flat was supposed to cook faster.

Will post before and after pics when done. Thanks for your help!

Ignore the point, its magic temp is beyond 203. Get to probe tender in the flat, or 203, whichever comes first.

Good warm hold afterwards.

Comment

• ajgrills
      ajgrills commented
      Editing a comment
      @jerodbroussard Awesome, thanks!

• RickyBobby
      RickyBobby commented
      Editing a comment
      +1

That brisket is gonna love a long hold. 👆 I want in on summo dat!! Sounds like your on Point. See what I did there?😬

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      harharharhar go BY some Bologna, don't stop and BUY it, because it is overpriced. See what I did there??

Howdy all,

I posted my follow up on this cook in this new post: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...up-pics-and-qs

Comment

I know its too late for this cook, but you want to monitor the THICKEST part of the flat, while avoiding the deckle (the layer of fat between point and flat). I monitor for that, set my first pit alarm for 195 or 200, and usually end up going to 203-205, but not always. The point will be higher, but it can take the heat.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here