Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ideas for grilling a beef prime chuck roast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ideas for grilling a beef prime chuck roast?

have a well marbled roast want to make it the best I can!

What is your end goal here? Pulled, sliced, etc.? What type of cooker(s) do you have access to? Do you have a sous vide? This is a super wide open question.

Comment

And when do you plan on cookin' it?

If you have the time, dry brine it at least overnight. If you don't have that much time, brine it as long as you can.

If you want to do a straight smoke put it in your cooker with your favorite smokin' wood and smoke between 225° and 275°. Pull when probe tender, (normally around 200° to 205°, but a prime grade might be done earlier). Then cambro it for an hour or two if you have the time. This is for pulled chuck. If for sliced, bull at the first hint probe tender, hold and then slice across the grain.

Comment

I would smoke that beast, rather than grill it. I would follow RonB's instructions above. Pulled chuck roast is really underrated IMHO.

Comment

If you have the sous vide setup, it's a great long low cook for chuck steak... otherwise smoke that puppy per instructions above, pull and profit. Or maybe barbacoa, which is similar.

Comment

Options include pulled as suggested or turning into burnt ends (one of my favorites). If you have sous vide you can make mighty fine steaks. Lots of other options - I've turned smoked chuck into beef ragu, ropa vieja, and beef stroganoff, for example.

Comment

The nice thing about a chuck roast is that it's really hard to mess up. I've smoked a few of them with Meathead's Big Bad Beef Rub and they've been universally excellent and a big hit wherever I've brought them. Personally, I like them better than brisket.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                ditto dat.

Thermo works smoke: my meat probe seems to have died! How do I get another set of probes?

Comment

couldn't figure out to open a new topic. computer illiterate. Hope someone sees this and can direct me to place where I can order some new probes!

Comment

Malcom Reed just did this recipe recently. I plan on trying it myself.

Check out the latest post from How to BBQ Right featuring Chuck Roast Burnt Ends Recipe.

Comment

• cccq
                cccq commented
                Editing a comment
                I have followed his instructions on this one and they were great. You won't be disappointed.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here