Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Hamburgers, anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Hamburgers, anyone?

I love burgers. My wife does even more. I've done a ton of 5.5 oz burgers on my charcoal grills, sort of reverse-sear and glazed with bbq sauce at the end. Love it! When I heard about bbq joints doing smoked burgers, I thought i would not like them. Where's the char action in that?

But we tried some smoked 8 oz burgers...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0327.jpg
Views:	545
Size:	215.5 KB
ID:	799054

Name:	IMG_0332.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	202.7 KB
ID:	799055

Name:	IMG_3470.jpeg
Views:	537
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	799056

They are not only super pretty, with that fantastic smoke ring, but they are great! Did some side by side tests while we were on-site for the morning segments of the local tv station, and they were great! The tv statoin crew loved both, but seemed to be more excited about the smoked burger! I Think we have a hit on our hands!

We smoked these on the top rack of our 1,000 gallon offset pit, which is typically 275-300 degrees. Takes about 45 minutes or so with this patty.

What is you guy's experience with the smoked burger?

Love the idea. 80/20 beef or fattier?

Comment

I’ve never smoked a burger but have done lots of meatballs. I have found a very interesting phenomenon with them. On day one they are delicious. As leftovers they seem way too smoky and dry. I have a feeling the smokiness is because it bleeds over into the sauce or soup.

Comment

As long as you got bark I'm good. I smoke meatloaf and leave the bacon off since it is just a bark blocker. Put the bacon IN the meatloaf.

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm still slapping bacon on my meatloaves. Family and friends love 'em. They'll get bark with the next brisket. Hahaha.

K.

I have done them, and found that if you mix salt in with your grind, they get really dense. I was getting somewhere when I switched to a 75/25% mix, with onion, garlic, and black pepper IN the grind, and then salt on the outside. I was running pretty hot for me, as in the 300° range over oak. As stated above Jerod Broussard I wanted to achieve some kind of bark to replace the sear. I live the sear on J. Wellington Wimpy burgers. I don't remember what derailed me, but I had the idea of coating them in my brisket rub and possibly lowering the temp for a longer cook and trying to develop some kind of bark; never got around to it. I may revisit it. BTW, I liked them mist with smoked Swiss cheese, caramelized onions, and mushrooms cooked down in butter and worshyersister sauce. A little splash of red wine vinegar and a toasted pretzel bun and they were quite edible. Let me know if you develop some kind of bark or crunch on yours. I even toyed with the idea of a quick dunk in my deep fryer loaded with bacon grease at the end, but again never got around to it.

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
          PaulstheRibList commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, I remember Meathead teaching us not to put salt until right before they go on the pit.

The smoker puts a nice bark on them. I'll take more close up shots for ya'll.

Name:	F1F55438-874B-4E57-B035-6C47DB71A767.jpeg
Views:	474
Size:	185.3 KB
ID:	799086Click image for larger version

Name:	B41E1F6A-58AF-4501-A701-E5E1BD9BB8B7.jpeg
Views:	521
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	799085
        I did some venison and pork burgers once that I smoked then cooked on a hot gas grill they were pretty good. Not exactly like your but close.

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
          Editing a comment
          Nice! I cooked mine to 155-160.

I usually do burgers at the end of a smoke.
        I completely open the dampers on my Keg and let it rage, when it hits 600+ on go the burgers.
        Anywhere from 6-8 mins a side and they are fantastic.
        Tried a long smoke once didn't like them as much as the rager's.
        Didn't get a great bark either way.

Comment

I have done it, but only with thick burgers 'cause I do like my front sear. Here's how I did it:

Dunk a nicely marbled chucky in boiling water for ~ 30 sec to kill the surface critters
          Grind chucky
          Form into patties at least 1" thick
          Dry brine for at least an hour
          Apply pepper, garlic and onion powder
          Front sear
          Bag and dunk in ice water long enough to get the temp headed down
          Smoke to your desired IT, (140 ° for us and if the ambient temp is higher than I'd like, I pull earlier)
          Serve...

I don't do it this way often, but it's worth it occasionally.

Comment

Let us know what the important ones, your customers, think about them when they hit the menu. I’d really be interested to hear about their response to them.

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
              Editing a comment
              So far so great! Nothing but positive feedback, and a few, best burger I've had in a long while!

I think when I use a slightly thinner bun, it will be even better.

We do these a couple times a month and have found for cheeseburgers don’t put the cheese on during the smoking process....seems it get a little too smoky. So while reverse searing, that’s when we hit them with the cheese.

Comment

I'll throw stuff on during the day while I'm smoking something else, burgers, dogs, brats, whatever. I don't recall anything coming out bad.

Comment

Aside from tbob4 excellent point above I assume you are cooking for service.

besides meatballs and meatloaf I have only smoked 10oz and larger burgers. I like a salty sear and or crust. For that reason I switched to more of a short smoke time at 300° or so then a grill.

i have found that truly smoking didn’t play well with a salty surface without a sauce or something to go with it. something to "pick up" the smoke and add balance.

Sounds like you are on the money and nailed it. That first pic looks real nice. Making me hungry.

Comment

I'll run them in the pellet pooper at 225 until IT of 130 then let air dry on a wire rack for a half hour or so, rub them up with avocado oil and S&P then sear them off. Nice light smoke flavor with a great crust.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here