Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Liver, brains, heart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Liver, brains, heart

ANyone have some good recipes posted for these guys? Anyone had success smoking them? I normally fry (with onions, eggs, etc) and havent done much heart.

Here is my liver recipe:

1. Toss in garbage.

Prep time: 0 Cook time: 1/2 a second

Comment

• Jim White
      Jim White commented
      Editing a comment
      More than 55 years after it happened, I still carry the psychological scars from the time my mother tried to pass off fried liver as chicken fried steak.

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      Jim White Amen, liver is the only food my mother gave up on trying to force me to eat. JCGrill the comment was a joke that I don't eat liver, not the advocating the throwing away of food. When I harvest a hog I let the dogs, chickens or coyotes eat the liver.

• surfdog
      surfdog commented
      Editing a comment
      ComfortablyNumb Same at my house. My parents gave up on that MANY years ago. In fact, when I was a bit older...they would warn me early so that I might stay over at friends house...knowing the reaction that I would have. They forgot one day, while I was in high school...I pulled into the driveway...and as I walked to the front door could smell it. Immediately got back into my car and drove off. I called them once I reached a friends house. That is still brought up occasionally. LOL

Try smoking beef heart. Prefer rolled in flour and fried alog with liver n bacon. Brains would turn into a gooey mess in the smoker. Try boiling them, cool then smoke. I have only eaten shee brains boiled in milk with a white sauce.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      had sheep brains once. Was pretty good. Not at all what I expected. Tasted very fatty.

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      @texastweeter
      Nerve tissue, especially the white matter does have a high lipid content.

I've only done high heat with liver and heart. Never tried brains, but I imagine high heat works there too, considering 'brains and eggs' is a thing.

Comment

You mean hotdogs?

I’ve had heart but I was young and don’t know how exactly it was cooked.

Comment

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Uh, what about e. coli on lettuce?

K.

From the title of your post, fracmeister , I assumed you were listing my top 3 personal organs, not necessarily in that order.

Kathryn
        Last edited by fzxdoc; February 2, 2020, 10:51 AM.

Comment

• treesmacker
          treesmacker commented
          Editing a comment
          I was thinking the title was all about the body parts we're working on destroying!

I've never done it myself, but I've had smoked liver, and it's fantastic. Then again, I like live in the first place.

Comment

I loved heart as a kid but haven't had it in years until recently. A friend bought half a cow and gave me the heart.

I cut it into pieces, cleaned it up, pounded it flat with a meat tenderizer, dredged in flour, and fried it up in a cast iron pan.

It was ok, not great. The parts that were more well done were definitely better than the medium rare parts.

Comment

Aren't those what Dorothy's companions needed in the Wizard of Oz? The Tin Man needed a heart, the Scarecrow needed a brain, and the drunkardly lion needed a liver.
            Last edited by CaptainMike; February 2, 2020, 01:08 PM.

Comment

• JGo37
              JGo37 commented
              Editing a comment
              I think so - when I get these three replaced myself I'll be as good as new...

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Very clever.

K.

I actually love beef heart. My fave method is close to basically doing confit. Throw some tallow in the bag with the (properly cleaned and trimmed) heart then sous vide at 185 for 15-18 hours. Then whack it on a scorching hot grill for just long enough to get a slight sear...im talking seconds not minutes here.

typically before the sous vide ill dry brine fairly light and wrap it in some plastic wrap with some thyme and rosemary.

Comment

• grantgallagher
              grantgallagher commented
              Editing a comment
              If you want to grill it then I recommend treating it very similar to a steak. Season as you please and cook accordingly. If you do it this way then do not take it above medium because it will turn to rubber. If you havent had it before, beef heart really isnt very much like other organ meets in my opinion, much closer to steak
              Last edited by grantgallagher; February 2, 2020, 01:18 PM.

Sometimes just because you CAN doesn't mean you should. Fried Liver and White Onions with two jumbo eggs for breakfast today - I just saw it on sale getting beer yesterday and grabbed it on a whim. My dad used to take me to truck stops for it as a kid.

I can't see getting liver anywhere near anything outside but a Blackstone.

Comment

More than a few years ago (when I still had nothing to grill on but an old Weber kettle) I used to grill liver and onion slices after the burgers, steaks, etc., were done. It all went into the refrigerator for a day or two then reheated in the microwave. It wasn't bad ... although a great deal of ketchup was always needed to make sure that was really the case.

No personal experience with either brains or heart (feel free to insert joke here).

Comment

If you like chicken gizzards (ones that aren't cooked to death, that is), heart has a similar firm, chewy texture. My mom used to simmer it in stock, trim off any tough bits, refrigerate, and slice thin for sandwiches. Very nice.

I'm not as fond of tongue because I think it has an odd fatty texture. On a sandwich with other fixin's, it's not too bad though, and I'll eat it without complaint. Just sayin' if given a chance, I'd would choose heart over tongue. Cook tongue the same way, peel off the outer covering, refrigerate, slice thin.

I've never eaten brains. My grandmother used to gently scramble them with eggs. They spoil quick so use 'em soon. Can't say too much more about them.

Liver - not my cuppa tea at all unless it's in braunschweiger or some kind of pate.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	2C80DA78-6580-4F65-8F42-70DFD82EE0D6.jpeg
Views:	202
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	798886
                  sorry, couldnt resist for any indiana jones fans out there
                  Last edited by grantgallagher; February 2, 2020, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here