Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

QVQ Disappointment...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

QVQ Disappointment...

OK, so the local market had some chuck on sale for half off - $3.99/lb which is good for Seattle. I grabbed one and figured for $10-12 I' d try this QVQ thing you all are so hot about.

Here's what I did:

1) Initial smoke for about 2 hours to about 125F
    2) SV for 24 hours at 132F
    3) Fridge for a few days since it was raining a lot.
    4) Smoke to about 130, rest in a faux cambro for 90 mins or so.

Pics are below and it looks fine. But the fat veins were still fatty and the sections that weren't were not buttery tender etc. They're fine... but nothing special. Honestly, I think I'll pot roast the rest of this tomorrow.

So... any ideas on what went wrong? Just too many veins of fat (this was one of those tied together chuck roasts)? Not done enough? Bad phase of the moon?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0335 (1).jpeg
Views:	303
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	796439

Name:	IMG_0337 (1).jpeg
Views:	353
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	796437

Name:	IMG_0336 (1).jpeg
Views:	281
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	796438

Time ... as in not enough in the hot tub. At the temps you chose, you need a good 72 "V" hours to properly render collagen and fat ... regardless of "Q" times.

Comment

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      I go the full 72 at 135F to achieve tenderization here. I could probably check it for tenderness at less than that but I’m lazy.

30 hours at 155F (and several combos in between) will achieve tenderness as well, but will lose some moisture/doneness advantage of the low max meat temp. Higher temp will net you a more traditional texture, which some folks prefer.

Pick the temp based on the texture you want, and go in the V bath until you achieve full tenderness by feel.

The SV does almost all the tenderization in this process so it has to be tender out of the bath.

the good news is you still have a super tasty hunk of beef that you can braise, pressure cook, smoke, SV, or otherwise cook to tenderness and then eat.

Comment

since the meat is only ~130 out of the second Q, it won’t tenderize in the cambro and won’t stay hot very long either so the cambro is only needed for transport or a short hold for service.

Comment

Make a pot of red out of it. Sorry, I don't suhwee except at the hogs, so I can't help you there.

Comment

Polarbear777 - ok, i see what I did now. Oh well, this one will become chili. Yummy chili
          Last edited by rickgregory; January 27, 2020, 12:07 AM.

Comment

This is where, IMO, the Joule app gets it wrong in that it recommends for chuck roast, 24 hours at 131°. It's OK but not as buttery tender as one done for 48 to 72 hours at 135°, as Polarbear777 recommends. Depends on the roast. I've done them for 135° for 48 hours and they're good that way too.

Kathryn

Comment

Polarbear777 Does that higher temp getup the bath you they buttery soft "Dry" type of tenderness??

Comment

In addition to the rest of the comments here, I've found over the years that QVQ is a bit of a waste of time and now I always just do SVQ. Any smoke that you manage to get on during the initial Q phase when doing QVQ is going to be removed by the purge that will collect during the V phase. Sous vide then Que!

Comment

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Meathead feels the same. I recently tried my first QVQ with a tough brisket flat and it turned out amazing--juicy and tender as ribeye. Up until then I had always done SVQ which I thought was delicious as well. Without a side-by-side comparison, I'm not sure I could make the call as to which is better.

Kathryn

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here