Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Next time I'll ask

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just tell them no, I'm not cooking it more. That is the way it is served. They usually either try it and love it, or eat just sides.

Comment

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      I think asking for a steak to be medium is fine. More than that is a waste of beef.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      rickgregory if I'm cooking ribeye as steaks yes, I take doneness orders. If as a roast, I go medium rare, and then of course the two end cuts.

You need to get new friends.

Comment

I've been there, but thankfully, only a couple wanted "medium well" and they got the end slices of the beef roast.

Comment

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Here too. Except for the fact that there is more seasoning on the end pieces which put them off as well.
        Bottom line is You can’t please everyone so you got to please yourself.

I'll throw the end slices back over the coals. The rest is being served rare. My prime rib guests are limited to those that enjoy it that way and vegans that aren't going to touch it anyway. Everyone else is invited for low and slow bbq cooks.

Comment

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        This is actually the best approach, imho. People like what they like, and it is a waste of good meat to try to please everybody. I gave up trying to serve seafood or beef to most of my relatives, because they can't stand anything "fishy" and their dislike of the sight of any pink color in beef (I have finally gotten them to understand the pink smoke ring in bbq) just ruins the experience for everybody.

That's why the prime rib in my freezer is in the freezer. My girlfriend prefers well-done beef. Medium well is passable. Medium is difficult for her to enjoy.

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Attjack - Not a chance is right. I cut a mid piece for my wife with some sauce to dip it in - a bit of oil, soy sauce, red wine and rub. Other folks like the end pieces that are a bit rare. I put both sides in the solution. I have the fire going just for her, flip twice for 1 minute per side and she is as happy as the rest of us. They are all serving while I am tending to hers. It's not a big deal and makes everyone happy - especially me.

• Red Man
        Red Man commented
        Editing a comment
        Just keep working on her. My wife used to like overcooked beef but I trained her to like medium rare 😁.

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, I'm making slow progress.

I have had people over for some nice steaks before and they asked for them to be well done. I usually ask what it is about medium rare or pink they have objections to. Most often they say something along the lines of "the blood freaks me out" and I take that as an opportunity to educate about myoglobin and then ask "Can I cook yours to medium rare and you can try it? If you really don't enjoy it I can put it back on the grill for a few minutes".

Occasionally there is still a stubborn person who really wants well done but more often than not they find they enjoy it medium or medium rare. They have just never had a good steak before to compare to.

Comment

My Friend's girlfriend worked at a restaurant in NYC. The chef refused to cook meat past medium. She would tell customers "you can order it Well Done but I am warning you it will come out Medium". I always thought that was great. Many would get pissed off, others would try it and some would actually enjoy it.

Comment

I will cook steaks up to medium. Any more done than that, I'll cook it for you, but you need to bring your own meat.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here