Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grill Alternative for steak, etc.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grill Alternative for steak, etc.?

I may have posted this in the wrong area the first time, sorry, I’m new to the site. Anyway, since it’s real cold here right now I need a grill alternative to cooking a nice steak. I assume most people use a cast iron skillet. I’ve done it a few times but never been impressed with the results. What’s the secret or should I look at another way to do it? Note, when I say cold, I’m taking -12 wind chill. Don’t want to be outside at all.

I think a lot of folks will say Sous Vide and sear.... sear with cast iron, stainless steel, and/or a torch or searzall.

Comment

First - welcome to The Pit.

Second - how thick was the steak you were not happy with, and how did you cook it in the CI pan? That info will help us help you.

Comment

Steaks were a little over an inch. I seared both sides and then put it in the oven to finish. I never get that nice brown exterior that I want. They were just ok. I used EVO oil in the cast iron pan.

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          OK - here is what I'd do:

Sear the steak by flipping every 30 sec to 1 min. Continue flipping until the crust is the way you like it, or until it reaches your desired final temp, (minus a few degrees to allow for carryover cooking). Eat that sucker.
          If it has the crust you want, but it's not up to temp, then put it in a low oven, (225° - 250°), until it come up to your pull temp. If it approaches 1.5" or over, you will have to finish at a low temp. Reverse sear also works...

As Ron B. said, welcome to the pit. so, what I have learned here, thickness matters first. So, hard to answer. But, it does not need to be cast iron (imho), thin steak, hot and fast, plenty of your fav seasoning. thicker, I prefer a slow oven cook with a hot and fast reverse sear, I use cast very little (only because they are to heavy for me personally) , I use all clad pans, but, any pan you can put in the oven. you will need a good leave in probe thermometer though, but, you should probably have that no matter what you are cooking.. If you are spending good money on food like steaks, you will be rewarded with your temp system quickly. .
        Last edited by Richard Chrz; January 19, 2020, 07:38 PM.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
          Richard Chrz commented
          Editing a comment
          your pan will need to be able to handle hot, so, no non stick, no plastic handles.

check this out too https://amazingribs.com/technique-an...eak-like-a-pro

Comment

Those are some good tips in the link. I purchased the AmazingRibs book with a Xmas gift card. I’ve been grilling for a long time, but I’ve already learned a lot. Pretty happy with the book and trial website so far. Thanks for the responses.

Comment

• barelfly
            barelfly commented
            Editing a comment
            Smokin hot CI to finish the steak is my preferred method. Try roasting first, I know you don’t want to be out in the cold right now. So oven roasted slow, in the oven maybe 225*u til about 120*. Then pull the steak, pat it dry and either use some beef love or high heat oil and sear it 30 seconds a side, maybe two times on each side. The CI has to be smokin hot though. Hi for 5 minutes at least before the steak goes in.

And the to finish, a few tabs of butter, and baste the steak!

• parkerj2
            parkerj2 commented
            Editing a comment
            barelfly +1 on everything you said, except I let mine rest for about 15-20 minutes before the sear. Carryover stops, so that the sear doesn't continue the interior cook.

Comment

I have done steaks this way...be careful not to set off your smoke alarm!

Comment

• Mark-B
              Mark-B commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, I’ve set it off before doing the same thing. Never seem to get the right crust. Must take practice.

I’ve tried many alternatives to match the steaks from top steakhouses. the best results were using a Big Green Egg that allows me to get a 700 degree temperature. If the steak is an inch or so thick, just a few minutes on a side. If it’s a very thick steak, I cook at about 275 until the center gets to 115 and then turn up the heat to 700 and quickly sear each side. The other "secret" is to start with high quality meat from your local butcher or Snake River Farms.

Comment

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              I wanna eat at your house.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here