Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flanken Style Beef Ribs, or Asado de Tira

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ready for dry brine then on the parrilla tonight. I strip the membrane then mark the ribs so the bone come out easier.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Looking good! What do you mean by 'marking the ribs'? Do you make a cut with the knife?

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      Exactly just a fine cut to score/mark the inner fibers that attach to the rib

Got wood.....
    Attached Files

Comment

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      Que bracho blanco in the pic above and the other is mesquite.
      Last edited by Ahumadora; March 26, 2020, 12:48 PM.

Threw a few embers under the parrilla to warm it up, then wiped off the grease n crap from the last asado. I got a case of mmf (multiple meat fever) at the butchers and ended up buying some nice looking steaks and a full rack of pork ribs. Also snagged 2 (morcillas de vaca / cow blood sausage with nuts and raisins in it.) Cut some flap/belly meat off the pork rib and going to cook it also. Slowly slowly is the key. Also have a few spuds hiding under the fire wrapped in aluminum.
    Attached Files

Comment

Saludos from Argentina AR pitmasters...
      Attached Files

Comment

No vegans in my house...
        Attached Files

Comment

• Red Man
          Red Man commented
          Editing a comment
          That rib is as big as her head 🤣

• Ahumadora
          Ahumadora commented
          Editing a comment
          Clara is 20 months old. BTW I did cook the ribs more for the kids. The juicy one in the pic is mine..

Henrik I picked up some flanken cut beef short ribs today, and was looking at yours above - what rub did you use? I’ve got your Beef rub and the KC Royale. For some reason the Signature rub won’t arrive for several weeks.

I was planning on doing your process of slow cooked and wrapping after 2 hours, but then again, looks like a lot say to cook these hot and fast. I am conflicted....
        Last edited by jfmorris; March 25, 2020, 10:56 PM.

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          I think both ways of cooking turned out great. Just different styles. If you’re doing them low n slow then the Beef Rub is the way to go.

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Henrik, I had forgotten about the other cook you showed us, and this was the first thread that came up when I searched for "flanken". Its a fairly large pack, so I may vacuum seal and freeze half of it, and cook some low and slow, and the others over live fire like you showed. When cooking hot and fast, what IT are you shooting for?

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Hmm, I winged it, but I would guesstimate 60 deg C / 140 deg F.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here