Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flanken Style Beef Ribs, or Asado de Tira

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flanken Style Beef Ribs, or Asado de Tira

I did some flanken style beef ribs the other day. It is beef ribs that are cut across the rib cage, so the ribs are only 2 inches 'long'. It's beef ribs, but shorter :-)

I decided to cook them 'barbecue style', so I put them on the grill using indirect heat, roughly 250° F, for 2 hours. I then wrapped them in foil and let them go for another 2 hours. When they are this 'thin', i.e. it's not a large hunk of meat, I prefer to wrap to retain moisture.

I used ash charcoal, which has become one of my favorites lately. It burns very clean. For this cook I also decided not to add any wood chunks. Therefore there was no real smoke flavor, and the bark was lighter (more red) in color.

Either way the taste was great, I've done these style ribs several times and I will keep doing them because it is a really nice meat snack.

Raw meat

Click image for larger version

Name:	asado-de-tira-1.jpg
Views:	703
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	792455

Name:	asado-de-tira-2.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	792456

With rub applied

Name:	asado-de-tira-3.jpg
Views:	600
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	792457

Getting the fire started

Name:	asado-de-tira-4.jpg
Views:	585
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	792458

Dinner is served. Here with sour cream, cilantro, ajvar relish and pita bread

Name:	asado-de-tira-5.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	792459

Nice!

Comment

What is ash charcoal? Lump charcoal?

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, lump charcoal made from the ash tree. Large (fist size) chunks. Great stuff.

You had me at "meat snack".

Looks delicious.

Kathryn

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks fzxdoc! Beef ribs is always a tasty meat snack :-)

In these parts with I think the largest Asian population in the states (Little Saigon) or close to it flanked ribs are cut thin line 1/4 inch or so and Korean spices applied.

i do them with some ginger, garlic, scallion, shoyo, Brown sugar, gojujang and lime and cilantro. Or variations of. Also lemongrass and Yuzu with some oj etc...

oh boy my stomach just rumbles looking at your pics man. Char doesn’t always have to have smoke.

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup. Were you local? Visitor??

That’s all a few minutes from me as H.B., fountain valley, Westminster, garden grove, Santa Ana and Costa Mesa are all a stones throw

• Ahumadora
        Ahumadora commented
        Editing a comment
        HouseHomey Lived there for 8 years. Anaheim,Bellflower area. Worked building race cars near the 91 fwy, then for West coast choppers and Boyd coddington before he croaked. Then moved to Texas where I found BBQ....

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Paisano Ahumadora yeah, lots of industrial area there around 91 and 5 in giant pockets of real estate. I was born n raised in Santa Ana. Parents are still there. I never went far.

Ash, whether charcoal or wood, is a very underrated species. I am a HUGE fan of American ash wood as many may know. And there's something to be said for using only charcoal on beef, beef doesn't always benefit from a pronounced 'smoke' flavor. Good call.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        What's wrong with talking about a little ash?

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, I’m an ash man for sure

• Red Man
        Red Man commented
        Editing a comment
        Troutman There is...it’s a powder called anti monkey butt 🤣

I keep seeing flanken cut ribs at my local Sam's club. I need to get some and try cooking them like this! Looks great!

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, I can highly recommend beef ribs in this size and shape. Good stuff.

Yum, I just took some out of the freezer.

Comment

Good looking cook. Got to find some of those.

Comment

I, who keeps up with all things Henrik, have commented on on his excellent website concerning this cook so I'll leave it at that

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for your support, it means a lot!

I've been using thin cut (3/8 in.) for Korean BBQ for decades. A Korean wife of an old Navy buddy taught me how she made Kalbi.

I just recently started getting thicker ones for regular grilling. The thick ones are very good.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Was thinking of doing some Kalbi in a future rotation. I may move that sooner !!

Good job.

Comment

The question is when is Meathead and Clint Cantwell going to write a page on Argentine asado?? Meathead can pay me $75k to go assist with the cook (aka drink beer) and test the results.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              I'll only charge him $15K, but I'd have to fudge my way through the skill part.

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              Huskee Don’t worry about the skill part. I don’t have any according to my boss and so far so good. An instructor one told me "Fake it til you make it." I love her!

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              That be bosses to a T! HouseHomey

Ahumadora I have something on picanha and a technique/recipe in my book. David is currently testing an Argentine wood burning grill and is writing about the techniques for cooking over wood embers (also in my book). One of the issues I had with working with a major publisher on the last book was they fought me on having similar content in both the book and website so I had to promise them x number of exclusive recipes. That is one of the reasons that we have set up our own publishing house, Deep Dive Guides, and will be publishing my next book in-house. So you can pay Amazon $22 to buy the book rather than me paying you $75. Or borrow it from your library.

Comment

• Meathead
              Meathead commented
              Editing a comment
              Man I would LOVE to come down and eat some meat and drink some wine! Don't think it will happen until the book is finished, though. Sigh.

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              Meathead., no worries boss. I got you. I’ll drink your beer and eat your food for free. Thats me, I’m just a giver.

• Bobmcgahan
              Bobmcgahan commented
              Editing a comment
              HouseHomey your magnanimous nature is truly inspiring.

Those are different looking flanken cut short ribs! They kinda look like pork. The bone section is wider but the meat section is thinner than the flanken cut short ribs I get. Mine are usually 1/4” thick and the full height of the short ribs. They taste great cooked hot and fast.

Comment

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep, I’ve seen those too. Will cook them asado style on my parilla next time.

• Ahumadora
              Ahumadora commented
              Editing a comment
              My guess is from young feedlot cattle and the lower portion of the short rib. (Not from the center section where it is thicker. I have a slab of ribs defrosting today that am going to cook for the family. Have to go buy some wood (leña) first though.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here