Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tri-Tip for Ropa Vieja?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• klflowers
    commented on 's reply
    I like the Latina Mom site too. I love some cuban style black beans, and I found that recipe right away.

• ofelles
    commented on 's reply
    @enfincoop I like the Latina Mom website. I'm always looking for authentic Latin recipes thanks

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks!

K.

• efincoop
    replied
    fzxdoc in the end I did the reverse sear cook on my Weber Kettle, but I was planning to try this recipe https://blog.williams-sonoma.com/ins...ot-ropa-vieja/ or this recipe https://latinamommeals.com/instant-p...an-ropa-vieja/

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    replied
    What Instant Pot recipe do you use for the Ropa Vieja, @elfincoop?

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

• efincoop
    replied
    Thanks everyone for weighing in. I think I'll go with the grill tonight & pick up some flank steak for Ropa Vieja.

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    replied
    I would reverse sear it. Nothing beats Tri Tip on the grill!

Leave a comment:

• Thunder77
    replied
    It looks to me like a tri-tip that they trimmed the skinnier end off of. Why they would do that, i don't know. I think it will do well for either. I have made tri-tip in Instant Pot, and it comes out delicious. But if you want to enjoy it like a steak, do the reverse sear. Either way I think you will be happy with it.
    Although I do think that it is better suited to the grill.
    Last edited by Thunder77; January 5, 2020, 08:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• barelfly
    replied
    Having just cooked Ropa Vieja last month and loving tri tip, I’d probably use another cut. I just like the tri tip on the Weber or smoker.

But who am I to say, I’m sure the tri tip would work, but there isn’t as much intramuscular in the trip as what a chuckie has, so may be a little different texture wise. If the tri tip is readily available to you, why not give it a go. I’d be interested to see how the instapot ropa vieja comes out. I cooked my recipe in my Dutch oven. Have at it and report back!

Leave a comment:

• efincoop
    started a topic Tri-Tip for Ropa Vieja?

Tri-Tip for Ropa Vieja?

Hi All,

I picked up a decent looking piece of beef labeled tri-tip sirloin roast at the local grocery store yesterday. It does not have the typical tri-tip shape, but it does seem to resemble it some. Anyway I am torn between cooking it reverse sear on my Weber kettle or making Ropa Vieja in my new Instant Pot. Any thoughts or suggestions?
    Attached Files

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here