Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2020 Birthday Cook — USDA Prime NY Strip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2020 Birthday Cook — USDA Prime NY Strip

Every year, I buy a hunk ‘o meat from Costco. I like to butcher my own meat and cook it! My wife prefers to go out to eat, so that’s what we do for her.

Here’s my NY Strip hunk that I cut up. USDA Prime. Great marbling, just maybe a little skinny to what I prefer.

It rained here on my birthday and the next day, so I had to pan sear them (normally I like to hover them over a charcoal chimney). On my birthday, the kids were loud and clamoring for attention, and I forgot to cold shock them. That left me a little over-done steak, but plenty delicious. I topped it with a ginormous shrimp (biggest I’ve ever seen) for my wife, and for me, I prefer scallops. Beef love, of course, which REALLY enhances flavor for the steak and the seafood.

The second day, I remembered to cold shock it, and I put some Holy Cow rub on there, which was REALLY good. It sure helps to have full concentration when crunch time hits (but I sure love my kids clamoring for my attention)!!
    Attached Files

I never get tired looking at grilled (or pan fried) steak. Always gets my mouth watering. The steaks look great. Yum.

Comment

Looks good! Happy belated birthday.

Comment

Looks delicious! Happy birthday!

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

Great cook. And I just started getting into some of Meat Churches rubs. So far I like them
            OH. BTW. Happy birthday brother. 👊👊

Comment

HBD!

And the strip is my next dry age cut, along with a brisket, THATS LOOKS GREAT. hope you enjoyed it!

Comment

Happy Birthday! Nice lookin cook Dad!

Comment

Great looking steaks! That’s my favorite cut, and I buy a couple of full strip loins each year just to cut into steaks. Once I smoked half of one like prime rib, for a holiday meal with the family, and it was really good that way too.

Comment

Did you sous vide these? I’m not understanding the need to "cold shock" unless you were SV’ing them. They look great, btw.

Comment

• scottranda
                      scottranda commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yep. SV at 137. Should’ve cold shocked them before I seared hahaha.

Great way to spend a birthday! Happy B-day!

Comment

Now that’s a proper way to celebrate a birthday. Especially your own.

Comment

Looks great. Happy birthday. Can’t beat that price either. I also like that the whole loin lets you cut steaks that aren’t blade tenderized like Costco’s cut steaks.

Comment

• glitchy
                          glitchy commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I agree, I can’t believe they still do that...especially to Prime steaks.

• Craigar
                          Craigar commented
                          Editing a comment
                          The last time I was in Costco I talked to one of the butchers and he told me they don't blade tenderize prime cuts, BUT, since they can't guarantee someone didn't mess up and send some prime cuts through the tenderizer, they have to label them as tenderized. I told him that's a shame, because I'm not going to cook a prime steak to 165.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here