Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pastrami/Corned Beef Pop quiz!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pastrami/Corned Beef Pop quiz!

So. I have 6 whole packers brining in cambros to make pastrami.

as always I followed the AR method and calculator.

The called for cure time with the calculator here is 9 days. I put them in the brine early morning on Monday 12/30.

some one knocked over the cambro yesterday and 4 gallons of water brine went everywhere.

For the record I discarded the whole packer.

before I threw it I was suprised how good it looked. I was expecting more junk and funk or more pink color etc..everyone was flabbergasted that I tossed the meat.

was the meat salvageable?? I think not. How long can you leave a turkey in a brine.

PLEASE PLEASE no "when in doubt answers" as I was just randomly thinking "what’s wrong with this meat?"

I’m having flashbacks to a previous post I made and don’t want to go that direction.

Meathead I’m thinking I created conditions that artificially spoiled the meat and then held it. So halfway through the cure time is the money spot for ickyness and contamination. That sound about right? I hate losing a whole prime packer and was drawing a blank when i was forced to explain why I was tossing a packer. It’s been a long week and I was "over it" and was literally having a hard time defending myself. Likely that was all in my head.

just random thoughts this morning.

No expert here, but let's pretend you were making pickles (which in a way you are). If you are making a vinegar pickle the acid kills the bugs, but you use heat to speed up the process. I would surmise that corning is the same, and without heat it takes more time. Have you created a breeding ground for bugs? I doubt it, but at the same time those that were there might not be dead yet.

I don't know what I would have done in that situation. Bummer though.

Comment

"When I'm doubt throw it out" 😊

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        bad boy

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh man, you in a heap of trouble!

I'm guessing this was at work, where you don't have any dollars invested and can't take chances. If this happened to me at home I'd be thinking of mixing up fresh brine and tossing it back in.

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah that thought crossed my mind but I was having nothing to do with that. Yes it was at work. I wish I had the space for 6 22qt cambros.

• grantgallagher
        grantgallagher commented
        Editing a comment
        So it was partially cured? Obviously serving to people you cant do anything than what you did but at home i would have just cooked it like a reg brisket and see what a partial brine does, lol.

The point of the 9 day cure time isn’t to kill all the bugs, it’s to allow enough time for the cure to penetrate to the center of the meat. If anything I’d think the more time in the wet cure, the higher the risk of the bugs taking it over.

My only concern with starting over with a fresh wet cure would be if that’s going to cause a higher PPM of nitrite in the meat. Since some of the curing salt in the cure has already been absorbed, starting over might add to the final PPM in the meat.
      Last edited by Red Man; January 4, 2020, 06:40 PM.

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        I would surmise the same.

I wonder if Doc Blonder might chime in.

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        I think there would be a whole lot of science in there and the rest is likely in the original thread. My guess is not and that’s ok with me. This thread was a random thought and something that actually happened to me. I Was just sharing.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here