Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry Brisket - - What Can I Do Differently Next Time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    He is here and no that is not photoshopped. Jerod’s just jealous cause he can’t figure out how to use his fancy new camera yet :’)

• jerrybell
    commented on 's reply
    He had to photoshop the marbling in a mirror image for the last slice on the left if he did.

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    Come to my house wise guy, still got some in the fridge

• Jerod Broussard
    commented on 's reply
    I call Photoshop on that marbling

• Troutman
    replied
    I agree with my esteemed colleague Huskee , flats are a bitch. The only exception (and I just cooked one last weekend) are wagyu briskets I've been buying from our local HEB. Those flats are full of fat and stay real moist. But even prime on down to select it's difficult. What I've found myself doing on those briskets is cutting off the front thin part of the flat, making pastrami out of it then cook the point. Why fight it, know what I mean?

(Here's the flat I made pastrami out of that wagyu brisket. Note the marbling, that's what makes the difference)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wagyu Pastami 01.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	786840
    Last edited by Troutman; January 3, 2020, 02:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rickgregory
    replied
    MtView - try a point next time if you can. I've done flats and they're just lean... they make great corned beef and/or pastrami, but the leanness makes them annoying to smoke. If you have a Costco or similar, see if they sell a full packer brisket and then separate it and trim it up, freezing some if you need to.

Leave a comment:

• klflowers
    commented on 's reply
    You are right about the flats. I should have said drier than usual. I'm thinking I should start separating them and just using the flats for pastrami.

• klflowers
    commented on 's reply
    You are right about the flats. I should have said drier than usual. I'm thinking I should start separating them and just using the flats for pastrami.

• MtView
    replied
    Originally posted by Huskee View Post
    Flats will always be dry. Inject all you want. If you wrap a brisket in foil w/o having injected it at all, there's still juice in the foil at the end of the cook. Why? The muscle fibers squeeze juices out. To me, and this is simply my preference and my thinking behind it, I won't inject because it will come out anyway, and my flat will be dry. My best workaround for a delicious flat is dry brine 24-48hrs ahead, and then leave a generous fat cap (at least on the flat). I go 1/2" on the flat instead of the recommended 1/4". Then each slice has a little extra soft moist fat with each bite. If you overcook it might affect its dryness, but it will also make it crumbly. If you could slice it good and it didn't crumble too bad it may not have been overcooked, might just have been an ornery piece of meat.
    I didn't know that about flats. I'm going to try a dry brine and no injection next time.

Leave a comment:

• MtView
    commented on 's reply
    Good idea. I should have some of this on standby. I might even make a batch up now because I sliced it and saved it anyway.

• Huskee
    replied
    Flats will always be dry. Inject all you want. If you wrap a brisket in foil w/o having injected it at all, there's still juice in the foil at the end of the cook. Why? The muscle fibers squeeze juices out. To me, and this is simply my preference and my thinking behind it, I won't inject because it will come out anyway, and my flat will be dry. My best workaround for a delicious flat is dry brine 24-48hrs ahead, and then leave a generous fat cap (at least on the flat). I go 1/2" on the flat instead of the recommended 1/4". Then each slice has a little extra soft moist fat with each bite. If you overcook it might affect its dryness, but it will also make it crumbly. If you could slice it good and it didn't crumble too bad it may not have been overcooked, might just have been an ornery piece of meat.

Leave a comment:

• HawkerXP
    commented on 's reply
    I put a pan under my brisket and butts to collect liquid when using my kettles. I do start with a little water in the pan when so it doesn't just cook off.
    Last edited by HawkerXP; January 3, 2020, 11:40 AM.

• klflowers
    replied
    Make the Texas BBQ Juice from the free side and use it as you slice. I agree with RonB and Bobmcgahan though, sometimes it is just the brisket. I had a choice brisket from the butcher a few months ago that came out excellent, and I had a prime brisket earlier in the year from Costco that tasted great but the flat was dry as the desert.

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    replied
    Sometimes the meat just won't cooperate, and you wind up with tough, dry, or both. My suggestion is to collect the drippings and add them back to the meat as you slice it. Some will remove the fat, and some won't. It's your call.

Leave a comment:

• Bobmcgahan
    replied
    I think it really depends on the quality of the brisket. The first time I did a "mostly flat" brisket bought from my local grocery store, I was very disappointed for the reasons you state above. I’ve done brisket since but I spent real money to get the highest quality; in addition, I used whole packers so as to get the marbling and flavor from the "point" end. Try a prime whole packer from Costco.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here