Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chuckie on the offset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dewesq55
    commented on 's reply
    Personally, I like the extra space. It gives the ash some room to accumulate without restricting air flow. Especially since my pit doesn't have a way to remove the ash during a cook.

• scottranda
    commented on 's reply
    Yep! All wood! That’ll be me too!

• Dewesq55
    commented on 's reply
    To be clear, although it's a charcoal basket, the pics are from an all wood cook where I attempted, more or less successfully, to control cook chamber temps by burning a small hot fire in the firebox with all dampers wide open.
    Last edited by Dewesq55; December 30, 2019, 05:14 PM.

• scottranda
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks! The guy did give me a charcoal basket. I may try that to help contain the coal bed of wood.

• Steve B
    commented on 's reply
    Interesting technique. I like it.

• scottranda
    replied
    Live streaming setup
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Steve B
    replied
    Next cook turn the fire box grate upside down. That will get you an inch or so closer to the bottom of the fire box.
    The other thing I see is that the wood may be too dry. Meaning it may be burning too fast not allowing it to form a good bed.
    Otherwise everything looks just fine.

Keep the pics coming.

Leave a comment:

• Dewesq55
    replied
    On the original question, I notice you don't have a charcoal basket in your firebox so what I'm about to suggest might take a little ingenuity. I take an old unused grate and prop it up inside my charcoal basket on an angle, so it makes a steep ramp which is quite narrow on the bottom when I start the fire, and then when I add new splits, the coals drop down there ramp and collect in the narrowed space and maintain a good coal bed for igniting the new splits. In your situation, I would try to find something that I could stick in the fire box that would block off an area where the coals couldn't wander out of, but still allowed good air flow/circulation. Maybe even a few bricks. Or maybe you could do something similar to what I do by leaning a grate against the back of the firebox and the other end resting, or secured around the middle, or front third, of your fire grate.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191020_135114.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	276.6 KB
ID:	785101Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191020_135131.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	270.9 KB
ID:	785102

Leave a comment:

• Michael_in_TX
    commented on 's reply
    That ThermaQ is a Smoke mixed with a Thermapen. Nifty!

• scottranda
    replied
    6 hours later, this is the coal bed. The grate is set maybe 5 inches above the floor of the firebox. I think it’s too far. What do you say?

the unburned wood is just preheating. You can ignore that.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• scottranda
    commented on 's reply
    Kinda like watching paint dry.

• scottranda
    replied
    If anyone is interested...

LIVE on #Periscope: Bbq temp monitoring

Leave a comment:

• Dan Deter
    replied
    Shouldn't think so.

Leave a comment:

• scottranda
    commented on 's reply
    Is it a problem? For me, not the ants haha

• Dan Deter
    replied
    I'm sure the ants were living in then wood. Good luck with the rest of the cook!

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here