Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket temp dropped over night,.. should I bring it back up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket temp dropped over night,.. should I bring it back up?

I have some additional info in here about pit controller error incase anyone has experienced the same issue that I have just experienced.
    I put a brisket on the Green Egg last night around 9:00PM (injected with beef broth) and had the pit temp set at 225 using a pit controller (cyberQ) and the brisket came to 155 internal and stalled for just an hour of so and then moved up to 170.
    I then changed the controller to track the internal meat temp on probe1 for a 203 degrees setting, about 12:30 am. I checked on it several times through out the night and it was right at the 203 temp. When I woke around 6 am or so i noticed that the grill temp had dropped to about 170 or so and the meat was at about 180 <>. I initially thought that the lump must have run out. When I checked the controller I could see that it was not calling for fan so the controller had stopped tracking properly.
    I pulled the meat (Texas crutched) to the side to make sure that the lump was in good shape. I changed the controller to track the pit temp to get the fire going again and to get the meat temp back up as it had only been 9+- hours of cooking.
    I now have gotten the meat temp back up to 208 now, (a little over I know, ran past the 203 I wanted) and am wondering how much longer I should leave the meat on to make up for the lost time at temp.

Side note:
    I was thinking of pulling the foil off the brisket and putting it back on the green egg to get the bark a little crustier than normal. Kinda drying the outer edge out a bit. Any thoughts on this?
    Also wanted to ask about the recipe here about brisket hitting the temp that you want (190-203) and then pulling and putting in chest wrapped for 2-3 hours. Is there any mention about how long to keep the brisket at the temp BEFORE Pulling into chest? I ask because it would seem that the meats tenderness would also depend on how long the meat stayed at the desired temp instead of just that it reached that temp.
    Thanks for any input on how to salvage this low temped brisket.
    Phil

Once mine hit 203-ish they immediately go to rest. Ideally i want a slow drop in temp over a couple hours and slice around the 150-165 internal mark.

I have cooked to 203, refrigerated, reheated, went over my 165 internal and hit 195. The point was mushy, flat barely had enough integrity to stay together. It was all getting chopped, so no worries on that, but not ideal.

Comment

Did your brisket hit 203 or just the controller was set at 203? Confused a little at that part of your story.
      Either way, I'm leaning toward thinking if your brisket stayed at a temp of 180 for several hrs you'll be plenty fine. It's often not that meat needs to reach 200+/-, but more so that the time it takes to get there is where the magic happens, then the cambro hold amplifies the softening.

I have done only maybe 4 briskets, unlike Jerod Broussard who does that many each week! But, I have regularly taken them to the 200 range, and once there or within an hour or so of getting there (200-205) held wrapped in a faux cambro for at least 3hrs. Two of them I held for muuuuuch longer- one held for about 6hrs in a cambro and 180* oven back ' n forth (to keep the meat around 160-170), and another went 24hrs total between cook time and cambro/oven time. The two longer-held ones were a little mushier or crumblier, but still juicy and delicious enough that I didn't think I ruined them. The one I held less, more the normal timeframe, was better from what I recall.

Comment

Thanks for the additional info, I just logged back in preparing for another attempt a a brisket and noticed I had these messages waiting on me.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here