Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Burnt Ends - Cooking point only? Or cook whole thing and seperate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burnt Ends - Cooking point only? Or cook whole thing and seperate?

I would like to cook one metric f***-tonne of burnt ends.

If I were to ask my butcher to give me two or three 'points' of a brisket can these be cooked for the same duration as a whole packer brisket (plus/minus allowing for time to cube, sauce and return to smoker?) or does making the raw meat a smaller size have an impact on cooking style method.

Alternative question: Do people separate the point and flat BEFORE smoking? Or cook the whole packer brisket and then divide it later? The former seems like less hassle and fewer burnt fingers in the pursuit of burnt ends.

Separate before. I've even cubed up in 1x1" cubes before the smoke. Take the point to 205-207.

Comment

If cutting it into cubes before the smoke it will take up a lot more room in the pit. Depending on the thickness of the point you will probably be looking at about 20 - 25 m2 of rack space to cook 1000 kilos of points if left whole. Alot more if cubed.

If you are only doing 2-3 points you can try it both ways and see which comes out more to your liking.
      Last edited by Ahumadora; December 29, 2019, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

I have done both. One of my favorite things to do is separate first. Cure the flat and make pastrami, then smoke the point whole and turn into burnt ends.

Comment

Smoke the point only in one go, then cube and smoke further. Easy to do.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here