Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tri-tip Dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tri-tip Dilemma

Purchased this the tri-tip below on Friday night at my local meat locker as I was on my way home from work.

The plan was to cook it on the cooker Saturday for dinner (wasn’t planning to SV). So I dry brined it Saturday morning... well we had a scheduling change and I couldn’t cook it.

Looks like Wednesday will be my best chance to cook it now bit debating on how to proceed until then.

I was thinking either go ahead and SV it. Big Chill and then reheat and sear on Wednesday. OR... put in a bag and do a water displacement to get the air out and just wait till Wednesday. I also considered Troutman ‘s recent post about a red wine marinade.

So what does the pit say?

Click image for larger version  Name:	FA8ECAA5-AB43-4E4F-902D-7BEBE1F6936B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.65 MB ID:	784779

pre some trimming and brining:

Click image for larger version  Name:	E124ADEA-8A6F-470C-AB65-E07A1E205E04.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.23 MB ID:	784780

post trim and brined:

Click image for larger version  Name:	8F7A80AA-8A07-463A-ADBB-914ED968CFAA.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.06 MB ID:	784781
    Last edited by Nate; December 29, 2019, 03:41 PM.

I wonder if QVQ would work. If you could smoke it to ~120F now, then SV, then finish it off Wed. IF not, I'd vacuum seal it and do it Wednesday, personally.

Comment

Are you asking because of the wait & the best way to keep it fresh....or just asking for preferences on cooking? Me personally I would just seal it up good and keep it in the fridge until Weds since i am not a fan of cooking twice if I don't have to (SV, Chill, reheat & sear couple days later) but I don't think any option is a bad one.

Comment

• Nate
        Nate commented
        Editing a comment
        A little of both but I hate just letting that thing hangout in the fridge open air.
        Cook plan was 225 ish and then reverse sear... hitting with a little red wine vinegar mix baste.

Vac seal and freeze for another time
      or
      Vac seal, SV, ice bath and fridge until Wednesday then reverse sear.

since it’s a few days I’d probably SV it so it wouldn’t sit raw in the fridge for more than a few days, but it could be fine.

lots of options. All good except not eating it.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        What he said. You can add the marinade to the SV bag and end up with the sauce you referred to. Win-win.

I would freeze it

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        I would eat it.

Dry brine and leave it until Wednesday.

Cook dual zone Cool side to 100° And quickly sear. It will rest up like a beast.

sauce it off heat with whatever you want.

This one will be well done and tough in a minute so don’t walk away.

The smoke and char will be delicious. A burnless rub will be best.

All of this is IMHO of course.

Comment

I'm with HouseHomey on this one.

Comment

Follow Up:

I posted this in the How Is What You’re Cooking thread but wanted to post a follow up here to for any future reference.
          —————————

First ever Tri-Tip!

Picked up this little well marbled beauty at my local meat locker.

Dry Brine
          Rubbed
          Low and Slow on the OG using Lumberjack Char pellets
          Basted about every 20 minutes
          Pulled at IT 140
          Reverse Seared
          Rested for 15 minutes

Results: JUICY... tender... delicious! The wife also approved!

Rub and Baste were inspired by Grilla Grills recipe but adapted slightly.

What I did different:
          Reduced salt to 1 tsp since I had already dry brined.
          Cooked at 250 and Reverse Seared.
          Used 1 tsp paprika and 1/2 tsp smoked paprika.
          Only significantly reseasoned the last two flips.
          Sprinkled a little more rub on the meat before I let it rest.

Served with:
          Salad
          Oven Roasted Veggie Mix: baby yellow potatoes, onion, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, and asparagus.
          (Also ate some raw cabbage for New Years)

Click image for larger version  Name:	91A9EB4D-0975-456D-8ECD-896A4AE72578.jpeg Views:	57 Size:	2.65 MB ID:	785966

Click image for larger version  Name:	D79D2091-D179-42E5-9D6E-2CFB6E927582.jpeg Views:	56 Size:	2.23 MB ID:	785968

Click image for larger version  Name:	6F2BB1FC-BC9E-45CC-BA8C-0BB90888BB3A.jpeg Views:	56 Size:	3.77 MB ID:	785967

Click image for larger version  Name:	F53B3D81-6518-406D-B5C0-E4F08842F13A.jpeg Views:	57 Size:	2.96 MB ID:	785969

Click image for larger version  Name:	1CA22A49-AF1F-46D1-A7AF-02B4F97C5E04.jpeg Views:	59 Size:	2.47 MB ID:	785972

Click image for larger version  Name:	A1404EB9-A33D-4F0A-AFE4-522E027E4733.jpeg Views:	56 Size:	2.32 MB ID:	785971

Click image for larger version  Name:	F2F46B9D-3278-4D56-8AD8-F9CEAA239D63.jpeg Views:	56 Size:	2.30 MB ID:	785970
          Last edited by Nate; January 3, 2020, 02:04 AM.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Yum!

• Skip
            Skip commented
            Editing a comment
            That looks wonderful!

That is one gorgeous Tri-Tip. Great job. Perfectly cooked (for my liking anyways).

Comment

• Nate
            Nate commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks!

Wow. Great looking meat for seating at 140°

nice grubbing you got going on.

Comment

• Red Man
            Red Man commented
            Editing a comment
            I was thinking the same thing! Definitely doesn’t look like 140, certainly doesn’t look like it was seared once it hit 140. Looks like a proper 130 to me!

Great job!!

Comment

Nicely done Nate, like an old school Californian and there's damn few of us left.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
              ComfortablyNumb commented
              Editing a comment
              Amen. It's gotten so bad even the tri-tips are leaving!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here