Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fan control for LOW prime rib 120F?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fan control for LOW prime rib 120F?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_105331.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	783827 I got a 13lb prime ribeye. I want to BGE it but I want the temp a little (lot) lower than the usual 225F. I bought the billows fan control from thermoworks. Will this thing help me stay low without extinguishing? My Miele oven can go as low as 120F.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jon McCue; December 26, 2019, 11:39 PM.

You don't want to cook meat at 120F. Hi, bacteria, nice to meetcha!

Why would you want to cook that low anyway? If you're looking to do a reverse sear, 225 is fine, just stick a probe in it and pull when it's close to the finished temp you want.

Comment

• Jon McCue
      Jon McCue commented
      Editing a comment
      Check out Heston blumenthal- British chef known for meats. Low roasting technique. The guardian published his rib roast recipe at 140 oven temp
      Last edited by Jon McCue; December 27, 2019, 09:01 AM.

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      Jon - 140 is, barely, at the top end of the danger zone. 120 is firmly inside it. The Blumenthal recipes I found talk about 65C which is, again, OK to pasteurize the meat of cooked for a VERY long time (cf Sous vide).

Great way to poison those that will be eating it. Why so low?

Comment

Originally posted by Jon McCue View Post
      I got a 13lb prime ribeye. I want to BGE it but I want the temp a little (lot) lower than the usual 225F. I bought the billows fan control from thermoworks. Will this thing help me stay low without extinguishing? My Miele oven can go as low as 120F.
      I think your question is whether or not the ThermoWorks PID controller will control a Big Green Egg below 225F, isn't it? Not sure what is important about your Miele oven in this comparison other than an oven can go very low.

If I have the question correct, yes the BGE can be run at less than 225F. I have had a BGE for years and have successfully run it below 200F to smoke bacon for example. The dome gasket has to be in tip top shape and the lump chosen for an even burn at low temps.

I personally would not cook a roast at less than 225F simply because of the time it would take. But yes, a good PID controller on a decent kamado can manage temps well below 225F. I don't think you told us what you are really after in terms of a set point but as others have pointed out you need to be careful with food safety.
      Last edited by Alphonse; December 27, 2019, 07:56 AM.

Comment

The 120 oven cook is technique from cooks illustrated, then finish in a pan. Not popular cause most oven can’t go that low

forget about the 120stuff, I’m just asking if the billows lets you get lower temps on BGE with reliability

this comes from prior difficulty with overcooking on the recipe on the public portion of the website.
        Last edited by Jon McCue; December 27, 2019, 08:33 AM.

Comment

• GolfGeezer
          GolfGeezer commented
          Editing a comment
          I think there may be some confusion on the recipe. The 120* temp is mentioned in the lead to the recipe as "professional chefs say 120* is the road to perfection (sic)", but the actual recipe calls for cooking in a 200* oven. You may want to re-check the instructions from that recipe.

Between 40° and 140° is the danger zone. Please don't cook in the danger zone.

Edit to add that I just read your comment. 225° will get you there with maybe a 1/8" grey band after a rest and then a hot sear.

Edit again to say that my time and temp chart for 7-log10 lethality starts at 130° and sez the time is 121 min at that temp to be safe.
        Last edited by RonB; December 27, 2019, 08:33 AM.

Comment

I’ve had excellent results cooking prime rib at 200 degrees. At that temp, there is a negligible band of overcooked meat. To safely cook at the low temps you’re talking about, you’d have to cook sous vide.

Comment

• Jon McCue
            Jon McCue commented
            Editing a comment
            Ok - I will NOT cook at 120 or 140. But I’m not making this 120 stuff up. This chef blumenthal scorches it with a torch, then 120 in oven for 18 (eighteen) hours. Then it is sliced and finished in butter. The meat is likely decaying internally but the surface is immediately cooked which is how he gets away with it. Thanks for the help all!

Jon McCue thanks for posting this as I had never heard of anyone doing it this way (outside of sous vide). I’d like to read up on this but I’m having difficulty thinking the meat would be that much marginally better. Let us know your results.

Comment

I cooked it at 190-200 using the thermoworks billows. It was great and not overcooked. I dry brined it in truffle salt at 1/4 tsp/ lb (fine ground) trimmed weight 13.2 lbs. O’Leary rub and roast tied to round the shape. I REALLY recommend the truffle salt.

this prime ribeye was big - exactly the diameter of a large green egg in length. Using the three temp probes on the thermoworks signals unit, there was nearly a 20 degree difference in temp between the center and the ends. I pulled it at 120 on the ends and 105 in the middle. While resting an hour the center temp raised to about 117. After finishing the whole log on the grill lid open, I had to cook the center third a little more cause it was too rare.

Two lessons for me- 1) cut these long roasts in half. The second is to be careful with these fans- you open the lid and the fan thinks the temp drops, the fan goes full blast and your coals get over lit. (I put some snow in the coals to get the temp down)
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Jon McCue; December 29, 2019, 02:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon McCue View Post
              . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Two lessons for me- 1) cut these long roasts in half. The second is to be careful with these fans- you open the lid and the fan thinks the temp drops, the fan goes full blast and your coals get over lit. (I put some snow in the coals to get the temp down)
              That is a known flaw in the ThermoWorks Signal controller. ThermoWorks released it without "open lid detection". Most other PID controllers, Guru and FireBoard for example, have had that necessary feature in their control scheme from the git go. My 8 year old Guru had it and my FireBoard as well. Unfortunately the Signals system did not and you have experienced the result.

ThermoWorks did finally release a fix for it three or four weeks ago. I would suggest you update your unit by downloading the new firmware if you can. My son updated his and it is a far better controller now as a result. I encouraged him to send his back last summer when he bought it and discovered the flaw. He chose not to with the hope that they'd fix it with an update. Not sure why it took them so long but they eventually got around to the update but in my opinion they damaged their brand in the interim.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here