Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

question-re-"trimmed-tied"-expectations-for-rib-roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question re: "trimmed & tied" expectations for rib roast

I recently ordered a 4 bone prime standing rib roast from The Fresh Market. When ordering I was very explicit - "I want the bones removed, I know they’ll be in the package, and I want the rest tied in a nice even tube... what do I put on the order form to get that?" (They did one perfectly for me a couple of years ago) Answer: "Just put "trimmed & tied’ in the comments”. Ok, done.

My Spidey sense was tingling when I picked it up Monday, and I asked them to double check it. Said it was trimmed & tied. Decided tonight to open it up and check and start dry brining it juuuuust in case... this is what I found (3 pieces of twine holding the ATTACHED bones in place were there but removed before pic) :

Click image for larger version

Name:	C5E0F140-EBE1-4CCC-B784-96AC32D3556E.jpeg
Views:	140
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	783272

So my question to you more experienced folk is: is that what I should have expected? Were my expectations out of whack? It’s not what I asked for, not what I got last time, but maybe last time the guy just hooked me up?

I shudder at the thought of me trimming this hunk of meat money, but I ended up removing the ribs, another long piece of fat/meat along an edge (now bagged and in the freezer), and a bunch of hard fat and silver skin. Then I cheated and used some silicone bands to tie it. Its now dry brining uncovered in the fridge on a rack. Cooking it Friday - off to a rocky start!

Click image for larger version

Name:	501B528F-7416-4997-95DE-6B2D896318DB.jpeg
Views:	213
Size:	303.8 KB
ID:	783271

Merry Christmas, AR, and thanks in advance!

It looks like you have it in great shape now! It should cook nice and even now! Merry Christmas!

Comment

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      +1. Even shape =even cooking

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, and Merry Christmas!

I think your expectations were reasonable and not out of the ordinary. There's nothing wrong with expecting your butcher shop to have competent, trained staff who know what "trimmed and tied" means.

That said, I think you did a bang up job of doing your own trimming and tying. Nice work!

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, I’ve been there enough I know most of them behind the meat counter by name. Feel like it’s reasonable to show them the pic and tactfully let them know what I requested and why. Merry Christmas!

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      FishTalesNC - I think it would be appropriate to tell the store manager the story and show him/her the photo. And next time, tell them you want to see it before it is wrapped.

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks RonB that does seem pretty reasonable... there’s been some turnover at the top there, and I’ve also had a frustrating recent discussion with them re: the hunk of meat they’re selling as "London Broil". Can’t wait for our Wegmans to open! 😬

I believe they left you with the tastiest roast AND steak you can imagine.
    Last edited by tbob4; December 25, 2019, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here