Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket low and slow on Yoder YS640

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket low and slow on Yoder YS640

First off, Merry Christmas, New Years, Chanukah, Holidays, etc to all on this site and to your families as well. We have been running a nice 60-70 degree few days in Texas (Houston) and good excuse (not that I needed one) to get out and cook/smoke, etc. I spent a few days experimenting and learning my way around my Pitmaker Longrifle with a few tweeks and did some nice fatty beef plate ribs - figured the fat would hold me through my mood (I mean temp) swings. I then fed it to family who all enjoyed (probably because anything they did not need to cook and clean was a good start. After all was cleaned up and put away I received a call from a friend reminding me I promised to do a brisket for her husbands family who were in from South Africa. I did not want to repeat the lack of sleep on the Pitmaker, so I plugged in the Yoder and prayed. The prayer was because I have had somewhat mixed results with the Yoder - probably due to me and not the machine.

This was an interesting cook. I vowed not to sprits, not to open the cooker, not to look, not to worry, not to do anything except relax. Friend dropped off a 20 lb prime brisket from Costco ($3.55/lb). It was well marbled but i was apprehensive.

I put it in freezer for an hour to cool the fat a bit for ease of trim (had been on his counter in kitchen for 4 hrs.) Left 1/4 to 1/2 inch of fat on one side and cleaned off the other. Got a pretty good shape to the meat. About 3lbs of fat removed. Salt and pepper only (1/2 cup of each) that went on 1 hr before the meat his the smoker.

Set Yoder at 250 and the thermostat read 250 and Yoder guage read 250. Fireboard sitting 1 inch off point read 200 (probably cold meat, evaporative cooking, etc). Ran the meat form 11:30 pm until about 11 am next day. Pulled at 11 and wrapped. at around 3 pm I pushed it up to 300 to finish. Pulled at 199.8 degrees (had had enough and probe was showing done.) Brisket was very jiggly. Rested for 1.5 hours and they ate it. I was not there but heard it was good. Ate a piece cold today and good flavor and texture.

Got a good bark. Good flavor. Good cook over all for me and the Yoder.

I will add a few pics they too below.

- The Fireboard pics are if you are interested in the temps. The spike was the wrap (butcher paper) and I left the probe in the smoker.
    - Wrap 1 & 2 are when removed after 11 hrs to wrap.
    - Meat 1,2,3 are buddy cutting (I tired to explain the grain, cut, etc and he did his best.)

The point of this is that this was a good brisket on the Yoder (which I know the cooker can do.) Main thing was a great bark formation.

Attached Files

Awesome. I went over 17 hours on a packer last night in my pellet. I did 230 for most of the cook then bumped it to 250-ish towards the end.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot (18).png Views:	0 Size:	88.5 KB ID:	783262

Comment

Jerod, what are you cooking on? That temp his holding very close to set for the cook.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm on a Blaze 'n Grill Works Grid Iron. I had the smoker set at about 205 to run those temps closer to the chimney. Where the temp went above 250 that was closer to the middle. My other digital was right at 250 closer to the chimney.

• MtView
        MtView commented
        Editing a comment
        Jerod - Are you basically ignoring the grill's pit sensor and adjusting the temp on the grill based on the location of the Fireboard's pit probe?

Jerod:

Could you share where you placed your probes on the Grid Iron? I have been having a hard time getting consistent temps across the grill. Upwards 30-40 Degrees different. I have performed the offset in the controller as well and discovered the bias only switches sides and is still not consistent across the grill. I am at the point where I dont think I can trust the the actual temp on the controller as in this scenario it was set at 225 please note the dramatic difference left to right. Any suggestions? I am inclined to sell this grill as not only am I having this problem the smoke profile pales in comparisons to my Grilla or Smoking Brothers 36".
      Attached Files

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Second pro shelf. Once things get heated up I typically run 40-50 higher on the chimney side. For the most part the Smoker's temp gauge is located in the coolest location on the smoker.

Your photo looks like a nice exterior and doesn't seem dry but your slices look like you've hacked it up a bit. Are you sure you had the grain right for slicing?

Comment

Thanks Jerod. As evidenced by my photo I experience a comparable temp difference on the main grid. Maybe I will try simply setting the grill based on probe temp.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here