Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to pick a rib roast.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to pick a rib roast.

I look for two things:

First, I look for a roast that is "overmarbled". That is, a choice roast that is almost prime, or a prime roast that makes you almost giddy with its marbling.

Second, I look for the biggest cap I can find. Find a roast where the cap is big on both ends, because then it is big in the middle.

Bone in, bone out, that don't make no nevermind to me. Both have advantages. Bone in means that the meat down by the bone will be very tender, and that's good. Bone out means more crust, and that's good, too.

(Here is the real reason I'm writing, so I can post these photos of this fantastic choice roast that I found!)

Click image for larger version  Name:	20191224_135905.jpg Views:	0 Size:	6.75 MB ID:	782645

Click image for larger version  Name:	20191224_135928.jpg Views:	0 Size:	6.12 MB ID:	782644

I always look at both choice and prime, (if available), before selecting one. Sometimes choice has more marbling.

Comment

I check the price and keep walking. Nice catch!!

Comment

Great advice

Comment

That's a killer choice. Probably on the line between choice 1 and prime. Great score.

Comment

That is a thing of beauty.

Comment

That's going to be really, really good....nice catch.

Comment

225 for 4 hours, then 250 for the last hour. Look at that huge cap!

Click image for larger version

Name:	8CA62777-BE76-4BA2-9968-99FF80A9B079.jpeg
Views:	272
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	783713

Comment

• Ahumadora
                  Ahumadora commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great looking ojo de bife (rib eye) nailed it...

• TripleB
                  TripleB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Man that looks good. I think that cut is from the small end. Large Cap (by the way, that is a HUGE Cap), small Eye and a part of the Chuck. Beautiful cut, cooked perfectly.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here