Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rub on NY Strip Steak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grantgallagher
    commented on 's reply
    ScottyC13 it was out of this world. Perfect heat kick without masking the beef flavor.

• ScottyC13
    commented on 's reply
    That sounds delicious!

• grantgallagher
    replied
    I just did one rubbed in sriracha and salt and pepper and it was one pf the best steaks ive cooked. For something thats not going a long cook ive found it best to keep it pretty simple

Leave a comment:

• ScottyC13
    commented on 's reply
    I dry brined, so the rub I added didn’t have any salt.

• w12x40
    replied
    I try to limit the salt in my rub for a thinner pieces of meat. Too much of a salty rub will overwhelm the taste of the meat. Fish fillets, thin NY Strip, thin-cut pork chops and such can all be diminished by over-salting. Your taste may be different, though.

I think Montreal is too salty even for a thicker cut. Most other grocery store rubs behave the same.

We like Hardcore Carnivore, both the Black and the Meat Chelada. Even my kids will eat that and they hate anything that isn't a chicken finger or boxed mac-n-cheese. Those two aren't that salty, so they works even on thin cuts.

My father always did garlic salt and lemon pepper, which still gets into our rotation. Just go gently on the garlic salt.

I've used Adam Perry Lang's Board Sauce: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/other-fun-sauce-recipes/board-sauce-recipe-adam-perry-lang. I like using a basting brush made out of fresh herb sprigs tied to a stick along with his board sauce (from APL's Charred and Scruffed). It looks great and tastes great.

Leave a comment:

• ofelles
    commented on 's reply
    +3

• barelfly
    commented on 's reply
    +2 Carne Crosta!

• ScottyC13
    replied
    I ended up using pepper and just a touch of Not Just for Beef Rub from Adrenaline BBQ (dry brined earlier). I got the coals roaring hot and threw on some pecan more for effect than anything else. Kept flipping and took them off at 125. They came out really good.

Leave a comment:

• fracmeister
    replied
    Pepper can be burned, especially if seared at very high heat. I am a salt early, lightly pepper to the end and touch of sea salt just before serving guy.

Leave a comment:

• JCGrill
    commented on 's reply
    What he said. The salt penetrates, everything else seems to stick to the grates and come off. I season heavily to combat this, but it only works a little bit.

• wrgilb
    replied
    Originally posted by Troutman View Post
    Some of the coffee rubs like Carne Crosta from Oak Ridge are made specifically for searing. The essential oils in the coffee are released by the heat. You may want to give that a try. Also nothing wrong with S&P, taste the meat !!!

Here's my recipe for a cocoa/coffee rub

1 Tbs. finely ground espresso coffee beans
    1 Tbs. pure ancho chile powder
    1 tsp. natural cocoa powder
    1 tsp. granulated garlic
    1/2 tsp. ground cumin
    1/2 tsp. brown sugar
    1/2 tsp. ground fennel seed
    1/8 tsp. ground allspice
    4 tsp. kosher salt
    2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

Oakridge's Carne Crosta is really good.

Dizzy Pig also has one called Red Eye Express and it is quite good.

I forgot about a new one from Oakridge BBQ, Spogos (salt, pepper, onion, garlic, leeks, porcini mushrooms, chiles and other spices). Definitely a keeper.
    Last edited by wrgilb; December 26, 2019, 08:48 AM.

Leave a comment:

• scottranda
    replied
    You can read the whole thing, but my April 1, 2018 post is when I found steak sear nirvana

My wife and I went to NYC for our 5-year anniversary. I got us a reservation at Capital Grille before our Wicked theatre performance on Broadway. Looking at the menu, I decided on

Leave a comment:

• scottranda
    replied
    I use Char Grill garlic peppercorn, and the Oak Ridge carne crosta. Both ridiculously good. I prob alt for the char grill more, but both are awesome.

As far as your "burn" question goes, rubs (without sugar) will not burn when you use RADIANT heat, but can burn if you use conductive heat. So, the cold grate method works great. You know what I use? I use a charcoal chimney and freaking let it rip. Hot as can be. But, I levitate the meat over the coals with skewers (or a pitchfork device I got for roasting turkeys). I flip it every 15 seconds or so, and get an awesome CRUST on my steak. I will send you the hyperlink to my topic I posted a long time ago.

Leave a comment:

• texastweeter
    replied
    I went salt, and pepper with worsh yer sister sauce as a binder the other day. Topped one with avocado compound butter (ABs recipe, it's killer, give it a try) and the other with a garlic, rosemary, thyme, Gorgonzola compound butter. Both were great. Seared in a 600° black iron skillet.
    Last edited by texastweeter; December 24, 2019, 03:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Donw
    commented on 's reply
    +2

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here