Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rub on NY Strip Steak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RichieB
    replied
    I'm doing strip tonight. I'm DBing for a few hours. Then all I use is cousre black pepper. Doing indirect per MH's method.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...-steaks-recipe

sorry no pictures. Man those Wegmans cuts are fantastic. Indirect to 115, then seared to 135. With the grilled potato. Per Meathead.
    Last edited by RichieB; December 24, 2019, 11:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    replied
    Montreal steak is my go-to and I put it on before reverse searing. Tonight I am going to try some Hardcore Carnivore Black that I picked up recently.

Leave a comment:

• ifican
    replied
    You just have to play, i know it seems like a cop out but really you do. Sometimes leaving overnight to let rub absorb some works great, other rubs dont. High sugar content will have a tendency to burn but not always (dark brown sugar for me does better in this area). I have never tried that coffee rub above but can attest to a coffee rub i make doing very well with searing.

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    That is my go-to as well.

• drobinson
    replied
    I don't use rubs on steaks--just kosher salt four hours before cooking---your steaks are thin so cook hot and fast over direct heat and then transfer to indirect heat zone if crust develops before the steaks reach medium rare. Good luck and enjoy.

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    commented on 's reply
    + 1 on the Carne Crosta.

• Troutman
    replied
    Some of the coffee rubs like Carne Crosta from Oak Ridge are made specifically for searing. The essential oils in the coffee are released by the heat. You may want to give that a try. Also nothing wrong with S&P, taste the meat !!!

Leave a comment:

• Oak Smoke
    replied
    We eat a lot of steak. I've tried using a rub over and over. I thought if I just flipped the steaks every minute I could get the perfect exterior I was looking for without burning the rub. What I found was that that much flipping made most of the rub fall off. In the end i went with just salt and pepper. You're not really giving up anything. A good well grilled steak with salt and pepper is wonderful.

Leave a comment:

• smokin fool
    replied
    Montreal steak spice is always a winner here but salt n pepper with garlic and/or onion powder is always a winner too.
    Optional a couple a dollops of Wishdishere sauce

Leave a comment:

• ScottyC13
    started a topic Rub on NY Strip Steak

Rub on NY Strip Steak

Quick question. I have three NY Strip steaks that are around 1 inch thick. I plan to just sear them over high heat on my Weber. If I apply rub, will it burn the rub? If so, I won’t use rub, just pepper.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here