Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked & Reverse Seared Tri Tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked & Reverse Seared Tri Tip

I smoked a Tri Tip on my MAK 1 Star followed by a reverse sear on my Kamado Joe with Grill Grates.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Smoked & Reverse Seared Tip 122219.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	410.6 KB
ID:	782526

Great looking tri-tip. Your intro roll had me wishing I was eating at your house.

Comment

Next time try turning your grill gates over to the flat side to sear, that way you get more of that great crust, instead of just the crust on the grate lines. I also apply some oil, bacon grease or duck fat to the grates just before searing.

Comment

• kenrobin
        kenrobin commented
        Editing a comment
        Great tips!

Looks fantastic!

PS: Loved the "This is what a teen looks like on a lazy weekend". I believe very strongly that one of our most important functions as parents is to embarrass our children!

Comment

• kenrobin
        kenrobin commented
        Editing a comment
        I wholeheartedly agree LOL!

• surfdog
        surfdog commented
        Editing a comment
        Reminds me...
        My oldest used to forget his lunch...a lot.
        I told him. "You forget this one more time and I'm going to show up at lunch time wearing a My Little Pony t-shirt with a Barney lunch box...yelling your name until I track you down."
        He never called my bluff. LOL

Excellent!! Enjoyed the video. I have to admit that I have never smoked a TT. Something that I will have to try.

Great job and Grill ON!!

Happy Holidays

Comment

Nice cook. I love these, just a little hard to find sometimes here in the Midwest

Comment

Dry brine at the rate of 1/2 tsp kosher salt per lb. of meat. For the salt to really penetrate it needs to be on for at least several hours and there's no need to rinse it off. Love tri-tip.

Comment

That was fun Ken, thanks for having us along and inviting us into your home. I do my TT's on the Santa Maria grill most often now, but enjoy a similar method to yours as well.

Comment

• kenrobin
              kenrobin commented
              Editing a comment
              I bought a Santa Maria attachment for my Weber kettle but I've only used it a few times. I will try to get know it better when it warms up. I'm sure the TTs turn out great on them!
              Last edited by kenrobin; December 24, 2019, 07:07 PM.

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              Plus, they're just fun to cook with. Merry Christmas to you and yours!

That was really fun! Great job on the tri-tip. Thanks for sharing the video and family! You all look fantastic. I’m a Tri tip smoker and your method in the video is very similar to mine. The difference is that I couldn’t do a video nearly as well. You did a top notch job.
            Last edited by tbob4; December 25, 2019, 07:07 PM.

Comment

• kenrobin
              kenrobin commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks tbob4!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here