Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st Prime Rib on a PBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st Prime Rib on a PBC

I’m going to be cooking a boneless prime rib on a PBC for Christmas. I’ve never used a PBC before. I’ve cooked a prime rib on a Weber Kettle before following Meatheads instructions. Does anyone have any tips for me? I won’t have a "stay in" thermometer but I will have a digital thermometer.

I would look at the PBC site for help. They have "how to cook" for most hunks of meat.
    I usually use my Weber / SnS for this job.
    I would recomend you look at the channels section, barrel cookers, PBC. Lots of good info there.

Comment

I just got a PBC myself about a week ago and my first cook I did without a stay in. A lot of time was spent having to pull and probe depending on the cut of meat which would spike the temps depending on how slow I was getting everything back in place and the lid secure.

I would highly recommend getting one for convenience and accuracy on cooking the meat and keeping the pit at temp. I bought the Fireboard and have used it 5 times so far and it has been awesome on convenience and user friendly interface. And I think especially for barrel cookers where you are hanging your meat for the most part, its required.

Like Hawker said I normally do Rib Roast on a Kettle. But PBC should be able to handle it just fine.

Good Luck!

Comment

I haven't tried this yet on my PBC, but here's the link for their recipe.

General rule of thumb for PBC is that their technique is good, their recipes are not. So find a better rub, marinade, etc, but use the PBC method.

Comment

I have not done a prime rib on a PBC, but plan on doing one next week. At the end of the day, the PBC is a simpler smoker, but it is not an oven or microwave. There is a bit of a learning curve, as I have most certainly found out.

The main problem I see with using the PBC without a leave-in thermometer is that you're going to be opening that lid relatively frequently to check the meat temperature. When one does this on a PBC the influx of oxygen causes temps to spike significantly, in my limited experience; you may end up cooking significantly hotter longer than you intend.

One idea might be to start off in the PBC and then once the meat gets to 115 or so, pull it and put it in a 250 degree oven and use that to go to 120. (Then you can also crank the oven to 500 degrees to get a crust.) I have not done this technique, but might work.

Perhaps even getting to a Walmart or what have you and getting a cheap leave-in would be a good idea. (Maybe two, one for the pit, one for the meat.)

Comment

I would be afraid to cook something like this on a cooker I hadn’t used before, and without a leave in thermometer. If it’s the only choice, I understand, but a lot of risk ruining an expensive piece of meat. Follow the advice already given.

The PBC - especially a brand new one - runs so very hot it doesn’t seem like the ideal cooker for a hunk of beef that is best served medium rare.
            Last edited by jfmorris; December 23, 2019, 12:18 PM.

Comment

• kenrobin
              kenrobin commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree... I'd suggest trying to get in a few cooks with a less expensive cut of meat just so that you can begin to learn your PBC's tendencies. Because it does not have an external temp gauge, you will essentially be flying blind & too many things can go wrong in a hurry!

You've already got some really good advice in this thread, the only thing I have to add here is that a PBC, due the way it cooks, can impart quite a strong "BBQ" flavour (even without adding any wood) which may or may not be a little off-putting to those who aren't used to it. I personally love the flavour that the PBC imparts to most things I cook in mine, but not all do. You're going to be cooking an expensive hunk of meat, and if it were me, I'd first experiment with a lesser cut of beef. A really good prime standing rib, I want to taste the beef flavour, I don't really want to taste the flavour imparted by the PBC. While I love BBQing almost everything, when I do a prime grade standing rib roast, I either sous vide it to just below the internal temp I want then blast it for about 8 minutes in a 500 degree oven, or I cook it at 200 degrees in the oven and then blast it as above to get a good crust. Aside from the PBC flavour, I find that it just runs a bit too hot to get the pink from edge to edge that I look for in a prime standing rib roast and the outer edges get a little over cooked.

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
              Michael_in_TX commented
              Editing a comment
              I actually am wrestling with this very thing myself. I have a $53 prime rib sitting the freezer, planning on cooking it the first week of January,

It is a pricey cut of meat. And I am still gaining experience with my PBC. Plus, the person I am cooking it for (wife!) is used to oven prime rib. I think I will not tempt fate and do it in the oven. Still will use Cow Crust.

I am doing a prime rib on the PBC on NYE but finishing it with a reverse sear on the Weber Kettle. I did a few last year. I use half as many coals as usual to start it to keep the temp down around 250. I also use lump for a cleaner burn. You probably don’t need any extra wood chunks. I just used the grate and didn’t bother hanging it.

Comment

Thanks for all the great advice. If I was home I wouldn’t hesitate doing it on my Weber Kettle. I’ve done that several times and I am comfortable with it. I also would have my thermometer and other tools. I think I have come to the conclusion that I’m not willing to risk a nice piece of meat on a cooker I’ve never tried. I will still use the Mrs O Leary’s Cow Crust but cook it in the oven.

Comment

• Razor
                Razor commented
                Editing a comment
                I think that's a good decision on your part.

• shify
                shify commented
                Editing a comment
                Good call. Without a leave in thermometer and a relatively quick cooking meat where 5 degrees off is the difference between perfectly cooked and overcooked and may happen in the span of a few minutes, I'd say the risk outweighs the benefit

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                Good call!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here