Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ribeye cap (Spinalis Dorsi)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ribeye cap (Spinalis Dorsi)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 12-22-19 at 7.34 AM (3).jpg
Views:	398
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	781921Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 12-22-19 at 7.34 AM (2).jpg
Views:	383
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	781923Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 12-22-19 at 7.42 AM.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	781922Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_523.jpeg
Views:	373
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	781920Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_522.jpeg
Views:	403
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	781919

Here's one of my favorite things to cook. Did this last night. Whole ribeye cap. I bought a whole primal cut prime ribeye from Costco awhile back and separated the cap from the eye, trim it up and rolled and tied it and into the freezer. After thawing, I untied it and dry brined for several hours in the frig. (1/2 tsp kosher salt per lb. of meat) I set up the BGE with the AR rig and put the grill gates, smooth side up down low, to sear on later. Rub the cap with Worcestershire and seasoned with Oakridge BBQ's Spogos, a little spay of duck fat and cooked @ 300 for about 30 minutes, flipping several times. I then pulled it about 120, spayed a little duck fat on the grill gates and got the fire roaring. Decided to put a little Oakridge BBQ's Carne Crosta on the meat before searing. This is really a great tasting piece of meat, Our Costco sometimes has the cap tied up as individual pin wheel shaped steaks, about 2" wide. I'll get these sometimes and untie them, roll them out and cook hot and fast. Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 12-22-19 at 7.34 AM (3).jpg
Views:	369
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	781930Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 12-22-19 at 7.34 AM (2).jpg
Views:	424
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	781929Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 12-22-19 at 7.42 AM.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	781931Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_523.jpeg
Views:	448
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	781928Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_522.jpeg
Views:	409
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	781932

Comment

Job really well done!!

Comment

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Actually a nice medium rare. 😁

Excellent cook !! The only thing I would have done different is drink more beer.... Bet it was some great eatin.. Pay attention newbies... wrgilb has his act together.....

Comment

• wrgilb
        wrgilb commented
        Editing a comment
        I had a Pliny the Elder, Shiner Bock, Black Butte Porter and finished with a Corona. If I'd had one more, I would have forgotten to shut down the Egg :-)

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Heck wrgilb I would have had that before I even started cooking. 😂😂
        BTW. Great looking pics and cook. 👍👍

Nice meat!

Comment

Ya got my mouth waterin'.

Comment

Good call. good cook. I like the crosta as well.

The rolled ones are usually "blade tenderized". Who needs that?

I’ve pretty much taken to only buying the big cryovac bagged stuff from Costco.
          We should start a letter writing campaign to Costco. Who wants to have to cook something like this to 165F IT to be safe? Not doing that saves them money as well.

Comment

Awesome cook! Good choice of beers too

Comment

Hungry

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here