Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef back ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef back ribs

This is one of my favorite times of the year to shop for beef back ribs, when the local stores are boning out their standing rib roasts. This is a picture of some back ribs I posted several years ago on the BGE Forum site. I immediately got responses that I was mistaken and that these were short ribs, because of all the meat on the bone. I responded to let people know that I wasn't mistaken for a couple of reasons, first I was a butcher back in the late 60's and knew what back ribs were and second, my wife and I were standing in our local Safeway and watching the meat cutter doing the boning of these. I told her that if I had left that much meat on the bone back in the day, that I would probably be fired on the spot. When he was done, I asked if he was going to sell the ribs and he said he was going to cut them into individual ribs and package them. I told him, I'd take the whole 7 bone section, how much is it. He said $1.99/ lb. and I said sold. Today they're in the $2.99/lb. range in our area. I have to laugh when seeing the cryovaced packages of back ribs that come from the processing plants, with most of the meat removed sitting next to some freshly boned ones in the counter. Get out and do some shopping. Click image for larger version

Name:	c548a42a3e73635337e89f7d5ab675.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	781146Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_27d.jpeg
Views:	240
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	781147

I'm headed to Costco today.....I am gonna look for some of these. Good time to buy.

Comment

Oh man that much meat on back ribs is damn near impossible to find...what a great score. Lucky guy, nice cook !!!

Comment

Better yet, but a rib primal and do your own trimming.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here