Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime Rib ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prime Rib ??

So I'm doing a full prime rib at my firehouse. It's 14# and about 16" long.

Curious on the cook time. I know, cook to temp. I will for sure. Trying to estimate cook time so I can (crosses fingers), have everything ready at about the same time.

I'm keeping it simple and traditional. Menu includes the BEEF, green bean casserole (because it's so good), Meathead's garlic mashed spuds, creamed spinach (because it's required for prime rib), and of course a righteous, thin gravy.

I usually cut big hunks in half, more sear aera. Also easier to handle. I don't have my notes for time estimates.

Comment

From the AR free site: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...er-beef-roasts

You should get a pretty good idea of the time from that in-depth article I think. It is more about how thick or round the roast is than the length.

I just looked again at the link above and there is another link within it that is even more directly about how much time cooking takes.

Why are exact cooking times so hard to predict? Because the actual time it takes meats and other barbecued foods to reach a certain level of doneness depends on many variables such as the weather, the cooking method, the type of meat, meat thickness, humidity in the cooker, and the accuracy of your thermometer.

Last edited by GolfGeezer; December 20, 2019, 08:47 AM.

Comment

I suggest tying it to make it more rounded. A thinner section will more done than the thicker section and tying it will help.

Do you have any idea how done people like their PR? That dictates what final temp you want. However, the ends will be more done than the center, so if some want it cooked to a higher temp, they get the ends. If you have more than two, you can cut in half or thirds to get more "doner" slices. As long as the sections are longer than they are thick, cutting shouldn't affect cooking time.

Comment

Thanks all. I'm thinking of cutting the big beef in half and tying it up. My roasting rack is not big enough to handle this beast. But I can cut it and make it work on the smaller racks I have. Think half hotel pan size.

I have the beast resting in the fridge with a dry brine of salt and pepper. I will coat with the MH O'Leary rub when the time is right.

Still unanswered. How long should I expect for cook time?

Comment

Originally posted by RonB View Post
            I suggest tying it to make it more rounded. A thinner section will more done than the thicker section and tying it will help..
            Yes.

Do you have any idea how done people like their PR? That dictates what final temp you want. However, the ends will be more done than the center, so if some want it cooked to a higher temp, they get the ends.
            I like my meat R to MR. Should I really care about what others like? LOL They can cook it if they want!

If you have more than two, you can cut in half or thirds to get more "doner" slices. As long as the sections are longer than they are thick, cutting shouldn't affect cooking time.
            Thanks man.

Again, how long should I expect for this beast?

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              My experience in the past with such beef roasts is that it only takes 2 to 3 hours MAX at 225 to get meat from 34F out of the fridge where its been dry brining, to 130F. I then sear it over on the gasser if it doesn't look dark enough already from smoking. I'll serve the ends to my wife and anyone else who doesn't like medium rare, and have a skillet heated up on the stove to finish off slices for other folk who want it more done.

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              The article by Meathead says 30 minutes per inch of diameter/thickness to get from 38F to 130-135, and I would say that is spot on.

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              A really hot oven is also good for searing at the end - something I learned from using my sous-vide.

Paying careful attention. I got a 16 lb boneless today and real estate is going to be an issue.
            Attached Files

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              Cut it down, and put some of it on an upper grate if you have two cooking levels in your kamado. Monitor temps separately though, or rotate them halfway through the cook, since a higher level may cook faster.

I cook to 120° IT, and then let sit until room temp. Then 30 minutes before service, blast at 500° for 30 minutes to sear, then serve immediately. Doing it this way allows you a TON of flexibility with service time.

Comment

• fkrall
              fkrall commented
              Editing a comment
              Any concern about bacteria growth letting it sit for more than an hour (I assume) under 140º?

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              never had a problem. Beef is very safe, and since there is no cuts or anything pushing surface bacteria inside the roast, the inside should remain sterile assuming you got from a reputable source. The 500° sear will kill anything on the outside. fkrall

Originally posted by CosmicMiami View Post
            So I'm doing a full prime rib at my firehouse. It's 14# and about 16" long.

Curious on the cook time. I know, cook to temp. I will for sure. Trying to estimate cook time so I can (crosses fingers), have everything ready at about the same time.

I'm keeping it simple and traditional. Menu includes the BEEF, green bean casserole (because it's so good), Meathead's garlic mashed spuds, creamed spinach (because it's required for prime rib), and of course a righteous, thin gravy.
            Letting us know what temp you plan to cook it at would be awfully helpful...some people do it at 225, some at 300. I think you'll find the cook time will change somewhat depending on where along that spectrum you decide to cook it.

Comment

Hope this helps. Great read and recipe - https://howtobbqright.com/2018/12/07...ked-prime-rib/

Comment

I'm going to do it at 225-250

Comment

So I found a fine mesh cooling rack. Going to tie the roast and place it on the rack then on top of the oven grate. Underneath I will put the au jus drip pan. Already made a beef stock and will "prime" the drippings with that along with more mirepoix.

Unfortunately, my local butcher closed up about 6 months ago. Been tough to find veal stock bones since then. Would have preferred to make a demiglace. Gives a nice velvety taste.

Beef stock makes your house smell like farts. Veal stock makes your house smell like home.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here