Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hanger steak help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hanger steak help.

So, we just had a newborn baby and now that my wife can once again enjoy a Medium rare steak. I want to cook her a nice steak dinner. I had this hanger steak in the freezer, but no real idea what to do with it. Any advice on trimming or cooking?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by RamaJama; December 18, 2019, 01:55 PM.

You’re definitely going to want to remove the membrane, after that just cook it like any other steak.

Comment

• parkerj2
      parkerj2 commented
      Editing a comment
      +1. Hot and fast to med rare.

First congrats on the baby. I'll say hot and fast too.

Comment

Congrats on the baby! When my wife was pregnant the smell of meat cooking always set off her nausea so I can understand what you have been going through.

If your hanger steak has that big piece of connective tissue running through it just cut along each side and make two smaller steaks. You can do this before or after cooking but I would probably do it after. Hot and fast will get that thing cooked in no time. I like using lump charcoal for something like that and flip it often.

Comment

I am a big fan of Flannery Beef out on the West Coast. I try to place a order for 6 or 7 prime hangers once a year. Here is a video of how they trim it into two pieces by cutting out the big nerve in the center. They do it right. https://youtu.be/LrtTA80KCxo

Comment

We use this finished pieces in a steak salad.

they are grilled but not hot n fast. More of a slow grill. I think the product is excellent that way.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here