Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime Rib - Can I Salt for Dry Brine and Inject Marinade at the Same Time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prime Rib - Can I Salt for Dry Brine and Inject Marinade at the Same Time?

I want to dry brine my prime rib and inject it with a marinade. Will I make the dry brining ineffective by adding all that moisture if I inject with marinade and put the salt on at the same time? Should I dry brine overnight first?

Just a question, why the injection? What is your goal?

Comment

Originally posted by Mosca View Post
      Just a question, why the injection? What is your goal?
      I like the additional flavor that it adds (red wine, Worcestershire, grey poupon, lemon juice, etc).

Comment

• Voodoo628
        Voodoo628 commented
        Editing a comment
        Maybe baste instead or make an au jus? Still get the rich flavor of a prime rib plus the flavor enhancers you enjoy.

I just wanna taste the meat. I would not inject.

Comment

why do you want to inject anything into a prime rib to begin with? a cheaper cut of meat may benefit but not sure a prime rib would do anything but lose the taste you paid all that money for. but that is just my opinion it's your prime rib and can play with flavor changes all you want.
        but the answer to your question is it would better to dry brine for at least 24 hours and inject a bit before it goes on to cook. but you could do both at the same time if you so chose.
        Last edited by Robert M; December 19, 2019, 12:10 PM.

Comment

If you want to inject, knock yourself out, you know what you like! My wife is making drunken lobster for a Christmas appetizer. Having grown up in the Midwest, we never did anything to lobster besides dunk it in drawn butter because we wanted to get the full taste of it. She's from Connecticut, and they just don't treat it with the same reverence.

Comment

• Murdy
            Murdy commented
            Editing a comment
            I'll check with her, I'm sure she would.

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            I'd love to see the recipe, too. Sounds interesting. I married a New Englander as well. He taught me how to eat a whole lobster back in the day.

Kathryn

• Murdy
            Murdy commented
            Editing a comment
            She doesn't really have a recipe, but this is the idea:
            Steam lobster with dry white wine until not quite done. Make sauce of dry white, lemon, butter, spices (she suggests tarragon and old bay), thickened with a little flour, when lobster cools down, break up and put in ramekins, cover with sauce, reheat gently in oven ( lobster will finish cooking) / optional, flambe a liqueur on it before serving

Originally posted by MtView View Post

I like the additional flavor that it adds (red wine, Worcestershire, grey poupon, lemon juice, etc).
          I would brine it, then inject it before putting it in the heat. I wouldn’t want it resting in that for very long.

That marinade sounds like it would make an awesome jus. I do something similar for braised spare ribs: red wine, beef broth, Worcestershire, balsamic vinegar, etc. Just had it Tuesday, in fact! For my prime rib I make a horseradish crema, sort of like a horseradish cream sauce but using Mexican crema.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here