Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef Bacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef Bacon

Hello, friends! My lady is requesting beef bacon, so who am I to deny her?

What experience do you have? Any tips? Does anyone know of a really great recipe? I haven't come across one on the site, but it wouldn't be the first time I have missed something seemingly obvious. Also, what are your thoughts on cut? Is navel a must, for has anyone had success with other fatty bits.

Thank you, love you!

Isn't beef bacon essentially beef jerky? I'd stop at a gas station, buy a bag or two, throw it in the microwave and say here you go honey, enjoy!

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      oh wow.

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      Not at all. Completely different.

MonsterDuckMadness Jess Pryles uses navel. Porter Road uses boneless short ribs to make beef bacon.
    Last edited by Dewesq55; December 17, 2019, 09:19 PM.

Comment

• MonsterDuckMadness
      MonsterDuckMadness commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, my friend! What I am most in need of, is a recipe. Have you used Pryles approach? Did it turn out well?

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      MonsterDuckMadness Sorry, I haven't. Of you googler of, I'm sure there are some good recipes out there. Good luck with it. It sounds interesting.

• MonsterDuckMadness
      Editing a comment
      I have done some searching, yes. There are surprisingly few actual recipes though. And, of course, how does one ever know how reliable random Web recipes are, for anything? Thats, after all, why we are here, right? The trustworthiness, resourcefulness, and general awesomeness of the folks and community here?

Local Fresh by Brookshires uses navel as well.

Comment

I make killer Lobster Thermador with canned tuna.

Comment

• IowaGirl
        IowaGirl commented
        Editing a comment
        They're joshing around making funny plays on words, Monster. Not poking fun at you or your question.

I've made pork bacon but never beef bacon. Looking at the recipes for beef bacon, it doesn't look very much different than the pork version. Besides Pryle's recipe which looks reasonable, here's another one that looks reputable. It suggests using short rib meat as an alternative to the navel cut -- https://steakschool.com/slow/brissie...rs-beef-bacon/

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        MonsterDuckMadness What IowaGirl said. We're not at all a malignant bunch, but a little gentle chain jerking does pop up now and then.

• Murdy
        Murdy commented
        Editing a comment
        No offense intended, Monster, just goofing around

I have heard of, but never eaten or made beef bacon. I am interested to see the results if you pursue this.

Comment

IowaGirl More than just a play on words. I didn't know that cows had pork bellies.

Oh well, back my dinner plans for chicken chateaubriand.

Comment

Gentlemen, please remember everyone can ask a question w/o feeling like they're going to be made fun of. We all deserve that here. Even if you meant no offense, try to see things from others' viewpoint.

Comment

This is a very interesting question. I don't have any recipes to offer, but I think beef bacon is normally made from beef navel plate (as is much pastrami). Years ago, I tried to find somebody that offered beef navel with only limited success. Local outfit that does whole carcass butchery was willing, but only grass fed beef and they were way to proud of it ($$$$) I've been making pastrami from boneless beef chuck ribs recently using method that I posted here. So, I decided to fry a couple of slices as I would bacon. Put a little tallow in the skillet and fried:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	642
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	780547

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	780548

Name:	cooked.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	780549

It was quite tasty, not as crisp as store bought bacon , but similar to home made using Meathead recipe and, of course, less fat than "streaky" bacon. I think I'll try it with some fried eggs and grits in the morning.

Anyway, If I was trying to make this more bacony, I'd increase the salt in the cure, and then skip the pastrami rub and rub with maple syrup or sugar for smoking. I'd also skip the Sous Vide finish and would cut parallel to the grain instead of across it.

Obviously, this is just rambling, but its something interesting (at least to me) to play around with.

Comment

• johnec00
              johnec00 commented
              Editing a comment
              MonsterDuckMadness ,

I would probably go with Meathead's advice to follow his recipe exactly for your first try then, if it's acceptable, tweak for later batches. Once you get the right amount of cure#1 and salt, the meat is pretty much a blank canvas, you can use pretty much any spice/sweetness that you fancy. I personally like to experiment . . . admittedly there have been failures!

Let us know how it turns out (with pictures).

• MonsterDuckMadness
              Editing a comment
              johnec00 Thank you for the advice. Also, every time I scroll past those photos you posted, I somehow end up with drool in my keyboard. Will send you the bill for repair.

I think I may be missing something though: Did Meathead have advice about working with beef, specifically? Or do you just mean his suggestion for beginner bacon makers in general... Thanks again, amigo!

• Meathead
              Meathead commented
              Editing a comment
              Agree. Follow my recipe the first time and then tweak it as per your tastes. Try the Pastrami rub!

The curing process for pork and beef are essentially the same.. differce is the cut of meat and seasoning on the outside. I use the same curing ingredients for ham,. Bacon , pastrami, dried beef,.the process is the same just different texture from the cut of meat and seasonings on the outside.. I currently have some beef navel and some boneless short ribs and may have to try some bacon..

Comment

• MonsterDuckMadness
              Editing a comment
              Thanks man. Please DO let us know how it goes! Im very curious to hear, see, and learn from your experience.

Rather than beef, I use boneless veal breast to make "Vacon". I cure it like bacon, and then smoke it @225. Then slice and fry up. As an Orthodox Jew, I’ve never eaten bacon, but friends told me it tasted like the pig stuff.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Wonderful!

• MonsterDuckMadness
              Editing a comment
              Dude, this is amazing! Do you have a recipe you can point me to, or send me? Also, does veal breast have another name?

Thanks so much! This looks amazing!

Name:	2BD7C7C3-791D-4D2E-9732-CB8411C59838.jpeg
Views:	304
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	780770
            Attached Files

Comment

• johnec00
              johnec00 commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks real good! What cut of meat is it?

BTW, welcome and I hope you enjoy your trial membership!

Oh, never mind the question, I just noticed the previous post.
              Last edited by johnec00; December 19, 2019, 01:46 PM. Reason: Just noticed the previous post that answered my question.

• Derickls
              Derickls commented
              Editing a comment
              That looks amazing

A buddy of mine has been making "bacon" from boston butts, mostly because he has a freezer full of them bought on sale, and claims its good. It certainly wouldn't be quite as fatty as pork belly bacon, but I've been tempted to cure a butt and try it. I made Tasso from butt in the past, and it was quite good used as a bacon sub in recipes (and I ate it in sandwiches like pastrami).

I wonder if you could use a fatty cut like brisket or chuck roast and cure it like bacon, or would those cuts be too tough?

Comment

MonsterDuckMadness
              My response to your comment in post #9.3 above was to verbose for the 500 character limit, so:

Meathead has a recipe for making corned beef here:
              https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...ed-beef-recipe

Pastrami is nothing but corned beef with spices added and smoked. Sometimes it's also steamed or sous vided. Here's Meathead's recipe for pastrami:
              https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...e-katzs-recipe

My family's pepper tolerance is apparently lower than Meathead's, but my rub is similar, just replacing about half the pepper with ground juniper berries.

Doc Blonder has a recipe for pastrami that uses a dry (equilibrium) cure and much less salt here:
              https://genuineideas.com/ArticlesIndex/pastrami.html

I've taken to using his method of making the corned beef as the doctor has threatened me with bad things if I don't cut down on salt.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here