Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime Rib - how long can I keep?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prime Rib - how long can I keep?

Yesterday (December 14th) I picked up 5-6 pounds of standing rib roast aka prime rib at Fresh Market on sale for 7.99 a pound. It was a 3 bone one, with the ribs cut off and tied back on. It was only choice, but looked really good, so I took a $45 gamble on it. Also got a 10 pound USDA Prime NY strip that I may roast in the same fashion, or cut into steaks.

The NY strip being a primal is still in the cryovac, so no concerns with that. However, the prime rib was in the meat counter, had been handled for trimming, tying, all that stuff, and is now wrapped in butcher paper. How long can I keep that bad boy in the fridge before cooking? Should I vacuum seal, freeze, and thaw out again if I plan to cook on the 24th or 25th? The butcher recommended using within 3 days...

Thanks!

That's a little longer than I would push it in the fridge. YMMV

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, kinda feeling I am going to vacuum seal it this afternoon, if I can fit it in the Foodsaver bags, and toss it in the deep freeze until a day or two before cooking. If it won't fit those, I will just wrap tightly in many layers of plastic wrap, then foil. If it was in Cryovac I wouldn't worry about it. Freezing will also kill any bacteria floating around in the air that might have gotten on it in the meat case at the store.

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      jfmorris You are correct. Won't safely keep until christmas. Not worth the risk for an expensive bit of meat.

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      jfmorris If you can find them, the Foodsaver expendable bags would definitely work.

jfmorris definitely to long to keep in frig wrapped as is. If you can cryovac or wrap in plastic and foil and freeze for a few days. Dry brine after defrosting for 2 days since it is a big piece of meat.

Good luck you have two fine pieces of meat there.

Comment

Thanks for the advice folks. I’ll get it sealed up and dropped into the deep freeze in a bit. Wife is pushing me to keep for New Year’s, so it was going to need freezing anyway. It was definitely an impulse purchase that was not fully thought out, but just picked up due to being on sale.

Comment

• JCGrill
        JCGrill commented
        Editing a comment
        That's what freezers are for, sales.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Haha yes JCGrill - I’ve got the prime rib, a dozen choice NY strips and now about a dozen prime NY strips as I just sliced up and vacuum sealed the primal I got yesterday. Cooking one for my dinner now...

Just be aware that unless you have an ultra deep freeze, it will lose juice when it thaws.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Just a standard deep freeze around -20F. I'll have to live with it, since it was frozen yesterday.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here