Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for tentatively March 18-21, 2022. Click here for more info: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/forum/announcements/misc/1014106-meat-up-in-memphis-2021-canceled
See more
See less

Prime rib costs HOW much?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael_in_TX
    Club Member
    • Dec 2018
    • Texas Gulf Coast
    • Grills:
      Weber 22" Kettle Premium w/Slow N' Sear 2.0
      Pit Barrel Cooker
      W.C. Bradley & Co. Char Kettle CK-115 ~1980s Vintage Grill (inactive)

Accessories:
      Thermopop (Instant Read)
      Thermoworks Smoke

Prime rib costs HOW much?!

I literally just fell over.

Okay, I've eaten prime rib before....even had some people cook it for me before, but I never knew how much it really cost. So I'm curious about it and just watched three or so videos on doing prime rib in a smoker or grill and every one of them stressed, strangely to me at the time, that it is an expensive cut of meat.

So I go to my local grocery store's web site and search for "prime rib."

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-12-12 at 7.44.16 PM.png
Views:	618
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	778400

I mean there is expensive, and there is expensive. Wow. I had no idea. I may try to master brisket before I tackle prime rib.
  • texastweeter
    Club Member
    • Jul 2017
    • Republic of Texas

I can catch it on sale for about $10-$12 a lb occasionally. That's really not THAT bad on prime rib roast. HEB prime is by far the least expensive in all cuts I have ever found without a sale. I have one in the freezer dry brine waiting for Christmas.

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Founding Member
      • Jul 2014
      • The Poconos, NEPA
      • Smoker:
        Landmann Smoke Master Series Heavy Duty Barrel Smoker (COS) - With mods including 2 level rack system with pull-out grates
        Masterbuilt 40.2" 1200W Electric Smoker
        Masterbuilt ThermoTemp XL 40" Vertical Propane Smoker

Gas Grill:
        BBQPro (cheap big box store model) Stainless steel 4 burnerswith aftermarket rotisserie.

Charcoal Grill:
        Weber Smokey Joe Charcoal Grill 14"

Thermometer:​​​​​​
        Fireboard 2 with Drive cable and 20 CFM fan and Competition Probe Package
        Fireboard 1st Generation
        ThermoWorks Mini Instant Read
        Lavaworks Thermowand Instant Read
        2 Maverick 733
        ThermoWorks IR-GUN-S Industrial Infrared Thermometer
        ThermoWorks ThermaPen Mk4 x 2
        Govee Bluetooth Thermometer with 6 probes

Miscellaneous:
        Anova Sous Vide Immersion Circulator - 1st generation
        Anova Sous Vide Immersion Circulator - wifi/bluetooth connected

Favorite Beer:
        Anything to the dark side and malty rather than hoppy. Currently liking Yuengling Porter and Newcastle Brown Ale. In a bar or pub I will often default to Guiness

Favorite Spirit:
        Bourbon - Eagle Rare for "every day"; Angel's Envy for special occasions, Basil Hayden's, Larceny

Favorite Wine:
        Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon Super Tuscan Sangiovese (Including Chianti Classico Riserva) Brunello di Montalcino

Favorite Meat(s):
        Pork - especially the darker meat. I love spare ribs and anything made from shoulder/butt meat
        Chicken - Mainly the dark meat and wings
        Beef Ribeye steak

Favorite Cuisine to Cook:
        Can't list just one: Indian, Chinese, Thai, West Indian/Carribean, Hispanic/Latin American, Ethiopian, Italian, BBQ

Favorite Cuisine to Eat:
        Indian, followed closely by BBQ.

Disqus ID:
        David E. Waterbury

In today's parlance, "prime rib" generally refers to any standing rib roast of beef, no matter the USDA grade. Much of what is sold at retail as "prime rib" is Choice grade and is less expensive. I believe last Christmas it was available here in my supermarket for $5.99/lb for regular choice and $7.99/lb for CAB, if you had a store card. I made it for Christmas dinner and it was excellent.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Similar to "baby" back ribs.

• Bkhuna
        Bkhuna commented
        Editing a comment
        Many states require the labels on beef to conform to IMPS standards. For instance, you can't say prime rib. Many place don't. Hence, you could sell a standing rib from USDA utility grade and label it prime rib.
    • Greygoose
      Club Member
      • May 2019
      • South Shore,MA

And worth it,,,,,

Comment

• Butchman
        Club Member
        • Mar 2017
        • Estero, FL

Prime rib is a walk in the park compared to cooking a good brisket.

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
          Michael_in_TX commented
          Editing a comment
          That was actually my thinking after watching the videos. It looks like such a simple cook. Then I saw the price.
      • mountainsmoker
        Banned Former Member
        • Jun 2019
        • Bryson City, NC

You can get a 3 or 4 bone Prime Prime Rib which weighs 5-6 lbs. from a good butcher. You can also get premium grade Black Angus which is just is just is slightly less than prime for about 3/4 the price. Had a delicious one from Wal-Mart.

Comment

• tbob4
          Charter Member
          • Nov 2014
          • Chico, CA
          • BBQ's
            Vision Grill

Beer

Wood
            Cherry
            Peach
            Apple

Today at Costco- Prime rib-eye roast was $13 a pound - boneless. I paid $200 for one, made a Prime Rib out of one end and ended up with six 2 inch rib eye steaks for the future. The Choice was $9 a pound. If it wasn’t Christmas I would have gone with Choice. 15lbs of Prime at your price is actually pretty good. 15 pounds is much more than your advertisement photo shows. When shopping look at the back and feel the fat. If it seems excessive, move on to the next pack. When shopping for meat, I know I will trim. But at Prime pricing, I expect that excess weight is not contributing to my cost. Bones and fat cost money.

Comment

• RonB
            Club Member
            • Apr 2016
            • Near Richmond VA
            • Weber Performer Deluxe
              SNS
              Pizza insert
              Rotisserie
              Smokenator 1000
              Cookshack Smokette Elite
              2 Thermapens
              Chefalarm
              Dot
              lots of probes.
              CyberQ

I paid $10.99/lb today for choice at Costco and trimmed a little more than a lb of fat off.

Comment

• Mosca
              Charter Member
              • Oct 2014
              • PA
              • Large Big Green Egg, Weber Performer Deluxe, Weber Smokey Joe Silver, Maverick 732, DigiQ, and too much other stuff to mention.

That’s a 15lb roast, are you serving 20 people? If so, I’ll suggest two smaller roasts. With that many people, you’re going to have the medium rare folks and the medium well folks. Two roasts is the best way to accommodate everyone.

Closer to the 25th the price comes down. Look for it to be under $10/lb by next Sunday.

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
                Club Member
                • Dec 2018
                • Texas Gulf Coast
                • Grills:
                  Weber 22" Kettle Premium w/Slow N' Sear 2.0
                  Pit Barrel Cooker
                  W.C. Bradley & Co. Char Kettle CK-115 ~1980s Vintage Grill (inactive)

Accessories:
                  Thermopop (Instant Read)
                  Thermoworks Smoke

Okay, now that I've looked a bit closer....a 15 lb 7-bone roast is a mammoth roast. I definitely don't need that much. Half that as Mosca suggested would be fine.

There's a butcher in my town that is getting really popular, in fact, they just moved to a larger location that is closer to my house. I may check him out and see what he has.

The prime rib cook just looks so simple: trim fat, remove bones, dry brine, add rub, smoke till 120 degrees, do a quick sear on all sides and you're done.

Comment

• Mosca
                  Mosca commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It is simple. The only rule is to really keep it low and slow. Like, 250* and under.

It’s just my preference, but this is one that is better without smoke. You’re okay cooking over charcoal, but the meat itself is very tender, and does not benefit from smoke.

My favorite is salt, pepper, and a little garlic powder, just enough to give a hint. Second favorite is Cow Crust.

I’ve done near 100 of these. Once you get it, the cost doesn’t scare you. The most I’ve spent is close to $500.

• Dewesq55
                  Dewesq55 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Why do you remove the bone? I like cooking it boned in. Then (at least) 1 of the booked is my special "chef's treat."

• hoovarmin
                  hoovarmin commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Dewesq55 removing the bone reduces cook time and promotes more even heat distribution. I remove the bones and cook them on the side.
              • Jerod Broussard
                • Jun 2014
                • East Texas
                • Pit Barrel Cooker "Texas Brisket Edition"
                  Weber One Touch Premium Copper 22" Kettle (gift)
                  Slow 'n Sear for 22" Kettle
                  Weber One Touch Premium Black 26" Kettle (gift)
                  Slow 'n Sear XL for 26" Kettle (gift)
                  Weber Smokey Joe Gold
                  Weber Rapid Fire Chimney
                  Vortex
                  Maverick ET-732 White
                  Maverick ET-732 Copper
                  2- Auber SYL-1615 fan systems(Awesome!!!!!!!!)
                  Thermoworks Thermapen w/ Back light (gift)
                  Thermoworks Timestick
                  Cambro Model 300MPC110 w/ Winco SS Pans
                  B & B and Kingsford Charcoal
                  B & B Pellets

I plan to snatch a small one at wolly world. Be my Christmas treat.

Comment

• JoeSousa
                  Club Member
                  • Sep 2016
                  • Spokane, WA
                  • Weber 22" (4 of them)
                    Weber Ranch
                    Weber 26"
                    SNS Kettle
                    PK Grill (40+ years old)
                    Weber Jumbo Joe
                    Thermoworks Smoke, DOT, Signals, Smoke X4, and Thermopop
                    Slow n' Sear XL (2)
                    Slow n' Sear

http://completecarnivore.com is my site

I was at Costco this evening and prime grade bone in rib roasts were $14 per pound or something around there.

There is a local butcher here in town that sells choice rib roasts for $6.99 a pound. Probably going to pick up a 3 or 4 bone roast tomorrow. They also have beef tenderloin for $5 per pound. Might grab one or two of those while I am there.

Comment

• Randy-Phx
                    Club Member
                    • Apr 2018
                    • Phoenix, AZ

This was last year at Fry’s (Kroger).
                    Attached Files

Comment

• JimLinebarger
                      Club Member
                      • Jun 2017
                      • Spokane Valley, Wa.
                      • Grills/Smokers
                        Blaze 32" 4-Burner Gas Grill w/infrared rear rotisserie burner
                        Weber Jumbo Joe
                        Weber 22" Master-Touch Kettle
                        Pit Barrel Cooker
                        Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain Series 36" Vertical Gas Smoker
                        Traeger Timberline 850

Thermometers
                        Thermoworks Smoke
                        Maverick ET-733
                        Thermapen Mk4, Red

Sous Vide
                        Anova Culinary Sous Vide Precision Cooker, Bluetooth, 800W
                        Anova Precision Cooker Insulated Container
                        Lipavi C15 container and lid
                        Lipavi L15 Rack

Accessories
                        SNS
                        BBQ Guru DigiQ (for PBC and 22" Weber Kettle)
                        BBQ Dragon
                        BBQ Dragon Grill Table for 22" Weber Kettle
                        Fire Butler (for Weber 22")
                        Grill Grates for Jumbo Joe and Blaze grill
                        Hovergrill

About me
                        Name: Jim
                        Nick name: Bear
                        Born at a very young age at Egland AFB, Ft. Walton Beach, FL.

USAF vet, ECM (F4 & B52)/B52 Crew Chief, Computer Systems NCO, disabled
                        Former Computer Tech/Admin
                        Campus Manager/Lead Tech/Tech (IT) for The Kemtah Group contracted to Intel, Rio Rancho, NM.
                        Short Term Missionary to the Marshall Islands with MAPS of DFM of AOG

At the local SmartFoods (formerly Cash & Carry) I can get the whole boneless primal ribeye for $10.45 (Angus 18lb. avg.) or IBP boneless beef ribeye for $7.38 (15lb. avg.).

Comment

• JoeSousa
                        JoeSousa commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I have bought pork butts, ribs, and bellies from there before but have never done any beef. Some of stuff is select grade and for most of the other choice stuff it seems like Costco is just slightly cheaper. And of course depending on the cut Sonnenbergs blows them both out of the water.
                    • Bkhuna
                      Club Member
                      • Apr 2019
                      • Merritt Island Florida

Originally posted by Michael_in_TX View Post
                      I literally just fell over.

Okay, I've eaten prime rib before....even had some people cook it for me before, but I never knew how much it really cost. So I'm curious about it and just watched three or so videos on doing prime rib in a smoker or grill and every one of them stressed, strangely to me at the time, that it is an expensive cut of meat.

So I go to my local grocery store's web site and search for "prime rib."

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-12-12 at 7.44.16 PM.png
Views:	618
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	778400

I mean there is expensive, and there is expensive. Wow. I had no idea. I may try to master brisket before I tackle prime rib.
                      That's not a bad price for USDA Prime Standing Rib.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for tentatively March 18-21, 2022. Click here for more info: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/forum/announcements/misc/1014106-meat-up-in-memphis-2021-canceled
                      See more
                      See less
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These Are Some Of Our Favorite Tools And Toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use Our Links To Help Keep Us Alive

A big part of this site is our unbiased equipment and product reviews. We love playing with toys and we have no problem calling them the way we see them. Some companies pay a finder's fee if a reader clicks a link on AmazingRibs.com and buys a product. It has zero impact on our reviews, zero impact on the price you pay, and the sites never tell us what you bought, but it has a major impact on our ability to keep this site alive! So before you buy, please click our links. Here's a link that takes you to a page on Amazon that has some of our favorite tools and toys:

If you have a Weber Kettle, you need the Slow 'N' Sear

slow n sear
                      The Slow 'N' Sear turns your grill into a first class smoker and also creates an extremely hot sear zone you can use to create steakhouse steaks.

Click here for our article on this breakthrough tool

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

the good one grill
                      The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read our complete review

Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
                      The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, and home fries. Or pancakes, fajitas, grilled cheese, you name it. Why stink up the house deep frying and spatter all over? Do your fried chicken and calamari outside. Blackstone's Rangetop Combo With Deep Fryer does it all!

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
                      The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Undisputed Champion!

thermapen
                      The Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 is considered by the pros, and our team, to be the single best instant read thermometer. The MK4 includes features that are common on high-end instruments: automatic backlight and rotating display. Don't accept cheap substitutes.

Click here to read our comprehensive Platinum Medal review

Grilla Pellet Smoker proves good things come in small packages

Grilla pellet smoker
                      We always liked Grilla. The small 31.5" x 29.5" footprint makes it ideal for use where BBQ space is limited, as on a condo patio.

Click here for our review on this unique smoker

Delta by Nuke,
                      Stylish and Affordable
                      Gaucho Grill

Weber Genesis Grill
                      Delta by Nuke burns wood or charcoal and comes with an adjustable height grill grate. This Argentinian grill will get your flame on!

Genesis II E-335
                      A Versatile Gasser That Does It All!

Weber Genesis Grill
                      Webers? Genesis line has long been one of the most popular choices for gas grillers. The new Genesis II E-335 offers solid performance, a sear burner for sizzling heat and an excellent warranty.

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared Zone

grill grates
                      GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, kill hotspots, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily rmoved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

PK 360 grill
                      The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it's easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is beautifully designed, completely portable, and much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order directly and get an exclusive AmazingRibs.com deal

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

kareubequ bbq smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.

Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

masterbuilt gas smoker
                      This is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. Set ThermoTemp's dial from 175? to 350?F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin'.

Click here to read our detailed review

Digital Thermometers Are Your Most Valuable Tool And Here's A Great Buy!

maverick PT55 thermometer
                      A good digital thermometer keeps you from serving dry overcooked food or dangerously undercooked food. They are much faster and much more accurate than dial thermometers. YOU NEED ONE!

Track Up To Six Temperatures At Once

Grilla pellet smoker
                      FireBoard Drive 2 is an updated version of a well-received product that sets the standard for performance and functionality in the wireless food thermometer/thermostatic controller class.

Click here for our review of this unique device

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

NK-22-Ck Grill
                      Napoleon's NK22CK-C Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It's hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the NK22CK-C a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Green Mountain Davey Crockett Grill
                      Green Mountain's portable Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it's also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Davy Crocket from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order