Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime rib costs HOW much?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prime rib costs HOW much?!

I literally just fell over.

Okay, I've eaten prime rib before....even had some people cook it for me before, but I never knew how much it really cost. So I'm curious about it and just watched three or so videos on doing prime rib in a smoker or grill and every one of them stressed, strangely to me at the time, that it is an expensive cut of meat.

So I go to my local grocery store's web site and search for "prime rib."

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-12-12 at 7.44.16 PM.png
Views:	1159
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	778400

I mean there is expensive, and there is expensive. Wow. I had no idea. I may try to master brisket before I tackle prime rib.

I can catch it on sale for about $10-$12 a lb occasionally. That's really not THAT bad on prime rib roast. HEB prime is by far the least expensive in all cuts I have ever found without a sale. I have one in the freezer dry brine waiting for Christmas.

Comment

In today's parlance, "prime rib" generally refers to any standing rib roast of beef, no matter the USDA grade. Much of what is sold at retail as "prime rib" is Choice grade and is less expensive. I believe last Christmas it was available here in my supermarket for $5.99/lb for regular choice and $7.99/lb for CAB, if you had a store card. I made it for Christmas dinner and it was excellent.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Similar to "baby" back ribs.

• Bkhuna
        Bkhuna commented
        Editing a comment
        Many states require the labels on beef to conform to IMPS standards. For instance, you can't say prime rib. Many place don't. Hence, you could sell a standing rib from USDA utility grade and label it prime rib.

And worth it,,,,,

Comment

Prime rib is a walk in the park compared to cooking a good brisket.

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
          Michael_in_TX commented
          Editing a comment
          That was actually my thinking after watching the videos. It looks like such a simple cook. Then I saw the price.

You can get a 3 or 4 bone Prime Prime Rib which weighs 5-6 lbs. from a good butcher. You can also get premium grade Black Angus which is just is just is slightly less than prime for about 3/4 the price. Had a delicious one from Wal-Mart.

Comment

Today at Costco- Prime rib-eye roast was $13 a pound - boneless. I paid $200 for one, made a Prime Rib out of one end and ended up with six 2 inch rib eye steaks for the future. The Choice was $9 a pound. If it wasn’t Christmas I would have gone with Choice. 15lbs of Prime at your price is actually pretty good. 15 pounds is much more than your advertisement photo shows. When shopping look at the back and feel the fat. If it seems excessive, move on to the next pack. When shopping for meat, I know I will trim. But at Prime pricing, I expect that excess weight is not contributing to my cost. Bones and fat cost money.

Comment

I paid $10.99/lb today for choice at Costco and trimmed a little more than a lb of fat off.

Comment

That’s a 15lb roast, are you serving 20 people? If so, I’ll suggest two smaller roasts. With that many people, you’re going to have the medium rare folks and the medium well folks. Two roasts is the best way to accommodate everyone.

Closer to the 25th the price comes down. Look for it to be under $10/lb by next Sunday.

Comment

Okay, now that I've looked a bit closer....a 15 lb 7-bone roast is a mammoth roast. I definitely don't need that much. Half that as Mosca suggested would be fine.

There's a butcher in my town that is getting really popular, in fact, they just moved to a larger location that is closer to my house. I may check him out and see what he has.

The prime rib cook just looks so simple: trim fat, remove bones, dry brine, add rub, smoke till 120 degrees, do a quick sear on all sides and you're done.

Comment

• Mosca
                  Mosca commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It is simple. The only rule is to really keep it low and slow. Like, 250* and under.

It’s just my preference, but this is one that is better without smoke. You’re okay cooking over charcoal, but the meat itself is very tender, and does not benefit from smoke.

My favorite is salt, pepper, and a little garlic powder, just enough to give a hint. Second favorite is Cow Crust.

I’ve done near 100 of these. Once you get it, the cost doesn’t scare you. The most I’ve spent is close to $500.

• Dewesq55
                  Dewesq55 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Why do you remove the bone? I like cooking it boned in. Then (at least) 1 of the booked is my special "chef's treat."

• hoovarmin
                  hoovarmin commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Dewesq55 removing the bone reduces cook time and promotes more even heat distribution. I remove the bones and cook them on the side.

I plan to snatch a small one at wolly world. Be my Christmas treat.

Comment

I was at Costco this evening and prime grade bone in rib roasts were $14 per pound or something around there.

There is a local butcher here in town that sells choice rib roasts for $6.99 a pound. Probably going to pick up a 3 or 4 bone roast tomorrow. They also have beef tenderloin for $5 per pound. Might grab one or two of those while I am there.

Comment

This was last year at Fry’s (Kroger).
                    Attached Files

Comment

At the local SmartFoods (formerly Cash & Carry) I can get the whole boneless primal ribeye for $10.45 (Angus 18lb. avg.) or IBP boneless beef ribeye for $7.38 (15lb. avg.).

Comment

• JoeSousa
                        JoeSousa commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I have bought pork butts, ribs, and bellies from there before but have never done any beef. Some of stuff is select grade and for most of the other choice stuff it seems like Costco is just slightly cheaper. And of course depending on the cut Sonnenbergs blows them both out of the water.

Originally posted by Michael_in_TX View Post
                      I literally just fell over.

Okay, I've eaten prime rib before....even had some people cook it for me before, but I never knew how much it really cost. So I'm curious about it and just watched three or so videos on doing prime rib in a smoker or grill and every one of them stressed, strangely to me at the time, that it is an expensive cut of meat.

So I go to my local grocery store's web site and search for "prime rib."

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-12-12 at 7.44.16 PM.png
Views:	1159
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	778400

I mean there is expensive, and there is expensive. Wow. I had no idea. I may try to master brisket before I tackle prime rib.
                      That's not a bad price for USDA Prime Standing Rib.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here