Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime rib costs HOW much?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To put things in perspective, it changes the mental equation when you get a $50 bill at a restaurant. I am talking Wisconsin supper club kind of thing, not a big city fancy establishment, also no bar tab. Now is it worth it, we’ll, can you say Pwime Wib? 🕶

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Pwime Wib

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Wigs... damn it! Wig.. crud!! WIBS ... I did it!

At first I read the initial post and wonder why the pricing is such a shock, but then I remind myself that we're each at a different place on the trajectory of life. Everyone has a first day/time of learning something.

HEB is a joy as far as super markets are concerned, ol' Mr. Butt done good. That being said, I don't expect the best pricing from them unless they're having a legit sale. We're a bit more rural and don't have benefit of their "Central Market" configuration, ours are all smaller footprints by comparison, and competition in the area is pretty limited. However, we do have Sam's Club (closest Costco is around 40 miles off) and they do carry a fair bit of prime grade beef. You can get the same roast cut, in similar size, for a dollar less per pound and it's boneless, so you're not paying for something you may not use or that has less value by itself. As for concerns for the size...………….that's why God invented knives! If a person's budget can be made to work, buy the 15-ish pounder, cut it in half for the Christmas wow meal, and then portion out the rest into 2", or whatever thickness, steaks for later. Using HEB as an example again, they portion it out that way for their "butcher case" offerings and it adds around another $4/lb to the price of the roast version. But then you'd likely want to vacuum pack them to preserve as much quality as possible. That's what MCS was invented for...………

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
      Michael_in_TX commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, I've only been in the BBQ thing for a year now. And love HEB. (Scott McClelland, President of HEB and that guy in the commercials is actually going to be one of our commencement speakers this weekend, which is pretty cool.)

Welcome to what Cdn beef prices have been for years....
    If I buy beef, I'm at the local grocery store Sat AM.
    Meat manager marks down beef and pork roasts that have been sitting all week.
    Its still inside the best before date but discounted up to 60%.

Comment

• crazytown3
      crazytown3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Same here, but I go to my local store, not yours. :-)

Today Aldi's was advertising choice "bone in rib roasts" for $6.99/lb. They didn't have any in the case.

Comment

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      Rain check that!

I paid 6.99 per pound for Angus rib roast today. That was about half the non sale price.

Comment

I do one of those about twice a year, usually 4 or 5 pounds. Usually do something akin to what Meathead describes on the free side. The jus is a must. Worth every penny.

Comment

So...……………. is a tomahawk a prime rib?

Comment

I just picked up 5-6 pounds of standing rib roast aka prime rib at Fresh Market on sale for 7.99 a pound. It was a 3 bone one, with the ribs cut off and tied back on. It was only choice, but looked really good, so I took a $45 gamble on it. Also got a 10 pound prime NY strip that I may roast in the same fashion, or cut into steaks.

Question - it’s the 14th. The prime rib is wrapped in butcher paper. Should I vacuum seal, freeze, and thaw out again if I plan to cook on the 24th or 25th? The butcher recommended using within 3 days... unlike the strip loin, this is not in cryovac...

Comment

Every Christmas I buy the biggest Prime Rib I can find at Costco. Bought one today that was just shy of 18 pounds. I will cut off a roast for Christmas and then cut the rest into steaks and freeze. The initial cost can be a bit shocking, but I feel better about it every time I pull one of those Prime steaks out of the freezer throughout the next several months.

Comment

Was waiting for these to go on sale for my cousin. When they go on sale, I pick up a few racks. I tell the meat person I want a 7 racker and tell em to trim em. They will also cut out the bone if wanted and tie em on or tie the hunk o meat if wanted. I’m one of the lucky ones.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Dewesq55
              Dewesq55 commented
              Editing a comment
              I didn't see this before I posted. Great minds think alike!

• Dewesq55
              Dewesq55 commented
              Editing a comment
              Note the add says limit 1 package per club card.

• Nuke em
              Nuke em commented
              Editing a comment
              Where there is a will there is a way.
              What ya do is get 2 of em, then they allow you to use your card twice (tell em you have 2 orders) and they allow it
              Then ya come back the next day and get 2 more. All said and done, ya have 8 of em.
              And just photo copy the coupon.
              I have a lil insight to these things
              It’s good ta be kind to the register people and get ya know em

So this just came in the mail from our local ShopRite supermarket:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191216_121944.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	779620

Comment

With a trained, ok not officially just alot of meat and experimenting over the years. I find more often than not at costco prime quality wrapped as choice. This happens mostly with the primal cuts but you can find other cuts as well. If you pay real close attention to the marbling you will start to notice it more and more. There will also be cuts wrapped in the blue trays that looks more choice than prime. Need to keep an eye out on my local ads cause those prices above are beaut.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.42 MB ID:	779919 Also in that flyer is a coupon for Pepsi (which I prefer)
                now I got it planned out. Is says for the meat with an additional 10 dollar purchase. So I get a 4 pack of Pepsi for 10.88
                then on the Pepsi coupon it says with a purchase of $25 purchase (so the meat purchase is more than 25 so I win)
                all said and done, I’ll get 8 whole racks of prime, and 32 cases of Pepsi (buuurp).
                now if I sell the Pepsi for a Buck or 2, then I could get min $384 for the pepsi which would pay fer the primes

win win all around
                mama didn’t raise no fool.

Comment

I paid $92 for an 8.59 pounder for our Friendsgiving at Costco. Was able to feed 9 adults and 2 kids with a little leftover. Good luck, and Merry Christmas! You're family is certainly in for a treat!

Comment

And yall are right! Here is this week's ad:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-12-17 at 4.09.10 PM.png
Views:	239
Size:	501.5 KB
ID:	780089

Comment

• Uncle Bob
                      Uncle Bob commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeah, they have different pricing in different zones. For the Belton store they have the 3 grades offered at 7.99, 11.99, and 14.99, all bone in. Prime packer brisket for 3.59

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here