Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime rib costs HOW much?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JoeSousa
    commented on 's reply
    I have bought pork butts, ribs, and bellies from there before but have never done any beef. Some of stuff is select grade and for most of the other choice stuff it seems like Costco is just slightly cheaper. And of course depending on the cut Sonnenbergs blows them both out of the water.

• Michael_in_TX
    commented on 's reply
    Yep, I've only been in the BBQ thing for a year now. And love HEB. (Scott McClelland, President of HEB and that guy in the commercials is actually going to be one of our commencement speakers this weekend, which is pretty cool.)

• Uncle Bob
    replied
    At first I read the initial post and wonder why the pricing is such a shock, but then I remind myself that we're each at a different place on the trajectory of life. Everyone has a first day/time of learning something.

HEB is a joy as far as super markets are concerned, ol' Mr. Butt done good. That being said, I don't expect the best pricing from them unless they're having a legit sale. We're a bit more rural and don't have benefit of their "Central Market" configuration, ours are all smaller footprints by comparison, and competition in the area is pretty limited. However, we do have Sam's Club (closest Costco is around 40 miles off) and they do carry a fair bit of prime grade beef. You can get the same roast cut, in similar size, for a dollar less per pound and it's boneless, so you're not paying for something you may not use or that has less value by itself. As for concerns for the size...………….that's why God invented knives! If a person's budget can be made to work, buy the 15-ish pounder, cut it in half for the Christmas wow meal, and then portion out the rest into 2", or whatever thickness, steaks for later. Using HEB as an example again, they portion it out that way for their "butcher case" offerings and it adds around another $4/lb to the price of the roast version. But then you'd likely want to vacuum pack them to preserve as much quality as possible. That's what MCS was invented for...………

Leave a comment:

• FireMan
    replied
    To put things in perspective, it changes the mental equation when you get a $50 bill at a restaurant. I am talking Wisconsin supper club kind of thing, not a big city fancy establishment, also no bar tab. Now is it worth it, we’ll, can you say Pwime Wib? 🕶

Leave a comment:

• Bkhuna
    commented on 's reply
    Many states require the labels on beef to conform to IMPS standards. For instance, you can't say prime rib. Many place don't. Hence, you could sell a standing rib from USDA utility grade and label it prime rib.

• Bkhuna
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael_in_TX View Post
    I literally just fell over.

Okay, I've eaten prime rib before....even had some people cook it for me before, but I never knew how much it really cost. So I'm curious about it and just watched three or so videos on doing prime rib in a smoker or grill and every one of them stressed, strangely to me at the time, that it is an expensive cut of meat.

So I go to my local grocery store's web site and search for "prime rib."

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-12-12 at 7.44.16 PM.png
Views:	1170
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	778400

I mean there is expensive, and there is expensive. Wow. I had no idea. I may try to master brisket before I tackle prime rib.
    That's not a bad price for USDA Prime Standing Rib.

Leave a comment:

• JimLinebarger
    replied
    At the local SmartFoods (formerly Cash & Carry) I can get the whole boneless primal ribeye for $10.45 (Angus 18lb. avg.) or IBP boneless beef ribeye for $7.38 (15lb. avg.).

Leave a comment:

• Dewesq55
    commented on 's reply
    Why do you remove the bone? I like cooking it boned in. Then (at least) 1 of the booked is my special "chef's treat."

• Randy-Phx
    replied
    This was last year at Fry’s (Kroger).
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• JoeSousa
    replied
    I was at Costco this evening and prime grade bone in rib roasts were $14 per pound or something around there.

There is a local butcher here in town that sells choice rib roasts for $6.99 a pound. Probably going to pick up a 3 or 4 bone roast tomorrow. They also have beef tenderloin for $5 per pound. Might grab one or two of those while I am there.

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    I plan to snatch a small one at wolly world. Be my Christmas treat.

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    commented on 's reply
    Similar to "baby" back ribs.

• Mosca
    commented on 's reply
    It is simple. The only rule is to really keep it low and slow. Like, 250* and under.

It’s just my preference, but this is one that is better without smoke. You’re okay cooking over charcoal, but the meat itself is very tender, and does not benefit from smoke.

My favorite is salt, pepper, and a little garlic powder, just enough to give a hint. Second favorite is Cow Crust.

I’ve done near 100 of these. Once you get it, the cost doesn’t scare you. The most I’ve spent is close to $500.

• tbob4
    commented on 's reply
    I might go 5 degrees hotter, then sear. It depends on who you are serving and what they like. My mom loves really rare meat and I give her a center cut ant 125, grilled FAST. My dad likes rare. His is grilled a bit longer. I am close to my dad and my wife likes medium well. I have cooked for just the two of us and gone to 130 and it is still very red in the middle. I don't sear mine and do hers.

• Michael_in_TX
    replied
    Okay, now that I've looked a bit closer....a 15 lb 7-bone roast is a mammoth roast. I definitely don't need that much. Half that as Mosca suggested would be fine.

There's a butcher in my town that is getting really popular, in fact, they just moved to a larger location that is closer to my house. I may check him out and see what he has.

The prime rib cook just looks so simple: trim fat, remove bones, dry brine, add rub, smoke till 120 degrees, do a quick sear on all sides and you're done.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here