Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef ribs with Aaron Franklin's recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef ribs with Aaron Franklin's recipe

Finally decided to work up the courage to try making beef ribs. I was randomly at the butcher's counter in Safeway and on a whim decided to ask the butcher why I never see beef ribs in the cooler. He asked me what I was looking for, and I said I wanted to smoke the part of the rib that looks like a giant brontosaurus rib, and he said I'm probably talking about the plate part of the ribs. I quickly Googled Aaron Franklin's beef short rib recipe and confirmed that yup, that's what I want. He went in the back, then came out a minute later and handed me 3lbs of ribs for $17 (the label said chuck rib - not sure if I got a deal or not), and I was on my way.

I followed the recipe in Aaron Franklin's book, except I did 1/2tsp of salt and pepper/lb the night before. I don't know how he gets such good BBQ when he doesn't dry brine.

Threw the ribs in the smoke vault with applewood chips around 10:30am and kept track of the temp/times below. I basically kept it in the range of 260-280F, and checked on it every hour or so. I spritzed the edges/corners with water about every time I peeked.

- 12:06 - 158F@262F
    - 1300 - 180F@271F
    - 1400 - 187F@264F
    - 1452 - 198F@277F
    - 1521- 201F@290F turning it down
    - dipped to 199 after last check-in
    - Pulled around 1615 at 203F

Pulled it when it was probe-tender at 203F. Very tasty, excellent moisture, a little salty but not excessively. I think I might like it more than brisket, but my wife said it's a very close 2nd to the brisket.
    Attached Files

I'm with you I prefer the Beef Ribs to Brisket. Yours look excellent

Comment

I too would take beed ribs over brisket. Great looking cook!

Comment

• MattSayar
        MattSayar commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. In Franklin's book he even says he likes beef ribs more than brisket but they're so self-indulgent he can't make them all the time haha

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, they are really rich.

Put me down for ribs too. And my wife also prefers beef ribs to brisket.

Comment

Ditto on the beef ribs over brisket. I did the same thing at Safeway a few weeks ago. They brought them out from the back and said they usually have them. I just need to decide when I’m gonna do it and your post makes me want to do it sooner than later.

Comment

best cut on the steer! I took a que (see what I did there) from him and use hot sauce as a binder on my beef ribs. I liked it so much, it is now my go to binder on beef, unless serving wimps, then I go with Worcestershire sauce. My beef rub contains a lot of ancho and chipotle flakes, so it brings the heat anyway. I skip the spritz on everything now, chasing bark. Cheers to you sir, HERE HERE!

Comment

• MattSayar
            MattSayar commented
            Editing a comment
            You know I actually love spicy stuff but decided to skip it for my first try to cut down on variables. How much heat does it add to the ribs? Would I need to warn someone before they bite into it?

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            not a lot, think a light dusting of cayenne. I Don warn anyone. MattSayar

• PaulstheRibList
            PaulstheRibList commented
            Editing a comment
            Beef ribs are SO GREAT! Only rival on the Cow is the Spinalis Dorsi (Ribeye Cap)

Nice

Comment

[QUOTE=MattSayar;n775213]

I followed the recipe in Aaron Franklin's book, except I did 1/2tsp of salt and pepper/lb the night before. I don't know how he gets such good BBQ when he doesn't dry brine.

/QUOTE]

Proof that dry brining isn't really necessary, perhaps.

Comment

• MattSayar
              MattSayar commented
              Editing a comment
              That's what I thought, but every time I don't dry brine, I wish I had

• parkerj2
              parkerj2 commented
              Editing a comment
              MattSayar I'll be honest - I think most on this forum tend to make a much bigger deal out of dry brining than they should. I notice more of a difference with steaks/smaller cuts than I do with the larger BBQ cuts.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here