Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is It Safe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is It Safe?

On Monday 11/25 smoked some chuck. I overestimated the quantity needed, so there are leftovers. They are still in the foil from cooking and have been refrigerated since then. Is it safe to reheat them to say, 150, and then eat?

At 5 days I think you’re good to go. I go 5-7 days regularly with leftovers. But not more than that.

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      A+ on this response. A few years ago I bought a FoodSaver (been through two now so it's not a brand endorsement) for this scenario. I may have nothing but leftovers between now and Christmas because my wife says the freezer is too full. I think the biggest worry you would have is how long it cooled and sat at a lower temp. If it was for awhile I would say toss it. If you cooled it in the fridge quickly after realizing it was too much, you are OK.

your fine

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      You misspelled "yer"

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      CaptainMike daggnabbed auto-correct

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      😂😂😂

As I once said in a previous thread on a related matter, try it & let us know or some of yer kin let us know.🕶

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      I really don’t know who’s funnier. You or HouseHomey

100% safe and delicious to boot, im my humble opinion

Comment

I’d eat that.

Comment

My rule is: the day you make it, plus seven. If you make it Sunday, the last day to eat it is the following Sunday. In actual practice, however, if I haven’t eaten it by Day 5, Friday, I’m not going to eat it, and I toss it out a few days later.

Comment

• LDimick
          LDimick commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah me too. Up to five days for me but up to seven days for others. The truth is that I don't like ot have the same food that often together. So I tend to freeze things if they are more than two days old and remain uneaten.

It's always nice to have some left-over meat to add quality to some dishes.

Aways reheat leftovers to 165. This is the USDA recommended temp and one that fzxdoc highly recommends also. Your leftovers are safe doing this.

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          True for pathogens, but not true for poisonous compounds from decay. So, during the first week reheat to 165, but toss after 7 days max. (5 days in practice, for me.)

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here