Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pepper Crusted Prime Rib roast...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pepper Crusted Prime Rib roast...

Sometimes you find a recipe that makes your mouth water... They bake indoors I'm going to bake in my Big Green Egg and then add a sear at the end.

Wow that's not bad for a major news site recipe. I'd probably do a reverse sear instead of sear in the front but otherwise that sounds pretty good!

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      "sear at the end" is the reverse sear. Bake it then sear it.

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      They don't mention sear at the end though. They say bake high heat for thirty then crank heat down.

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      That's they.... They haven't read Meathead's wisdom. We... Know better!

I hear you Breadhead you're doing reverse sear instead. I wonder what they mayo does...maybe it's the milk & vinegar along with the 'brining' from the salt that helps things. First I've heard of mayo.

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee... I'm certainly not an expert! It's just my guess why the Chef that wrote that recipe and got it published, had a reason why he used mayo. I don't think it would effect the taste of the finished product anymore than we in the Pit that use Meathead's recommended oil, instead of mustard. With all of the oil that is in mayo, it will melt off fairly quickly at 225/230 degrees. I, personally, believe using a binder might become one of Meathead's myths... Eventually. I already just use water. Logic tells me if you rub a compound on before you apply the rub, that will melt off in the first hour of the cook - it's going to take my rub with it. I think when the water that I applied evaporates, the water from within the meat will pushed out and retain my rub. I have NO scientific facts, that's just what I think.
      Last edited by Breadhead; April 9, 2015, 11:55 PM.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree Breadhead. I don't use binders on anything anymore. Add dry rub, within 60 secs it's melting/dissolving and sticking to the once-dry meat surface. Binders are wasted ingredients IMO. I was referring to a 2-day marinade if you will, with mustard & salted rub. It's messy, and the difference wasn't THAT profound, so I don't do it often, but there was a difference in my case and others who've tried it.

*I take that back partially, I spray PAM on when I apply my rub to whole chickens. being so round gravity likes to make some fall off, so the PAM helps hold it on somewhat and I like to think it helps crisp my skin.

I honestly wouldn't try the mayo myself. My suspicions are that it's just like you said- what he had there, was unique, and the end result was good, so it became the recipe.
      Last edited by Huskee; April 10, 2015, 12:05 AM.

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Here's an overnight marinade that will knock your socks off for pork chops or chicken thighs... I've even basted it on ribs at the end of the cook.
      Last edited by Breadhead; April 10, 2015, 12:43 AM.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here