Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wagyu brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wagyu brisket

I’m cooking my first wagyu beef brisket on wed. I usually use a penzy beef rub but going just salt and pepper for this packer. I’ve had great success previously with prime brisket. Anything I should do differently with this grade?
    smoking with pellet @240

Start checking for probe tender earlier.

Comment

Yep, I smoked a few Snake River Farms Wagyu briskets and they went much quicker than expected. I kept them in a cambro after holding them in the smoker at a holding temp.

So just be prepared and keep keep an eye on it. Don’t expect a long stall.

Comment

I agree. I am a fan of SRF Black grade. I like to cook around 275 for brisket and they usually go about 6 to 7 hours done.
        I have kept them as long as four hours in a cooler wrapped in a towel.

Comment

Yep what all have said. My last HEB Wagyu at about 12# took only 5 1/2 hours and was probe tender at about 195*.

Comment

Agree with all above. Quicker cook and great taste.

Comment

Wow I didn’t expect these responses so I’m glad I asked. Thanks for all the replies. Any idea what would cause them to finish so quickly? I don’t wrap at the stall; I just let it ride and since I’m smoking at 230-240 degrees, I usually expect a 18-20 hour smoke. So expect much less than my usual time, correct?
              Last edited by Rockitman; November 27, 2019, 12:57 AM.

Comment

• jecucolo
                jecucolo commented
                Editing a comment
                Fat content is the biggest factor.
                I have only cooked a wagyu once and it was on a pbc. I think it shaved off a couple of hours.

I’ve only cooked Prime whole packers. In my pit at ~250°F I’ve never had one take longer than 10 hours.

I’ve also kept them overnight in a warming oven and they e turned out great.
              Last edited by Santamarina; November 27, 2019, 01:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockitman View Post
                Anything I should do differently with this grade?
                smoking with pellet @240
                Just for clarification, Wagyu isn't a grade, it's a breed.
                Last edited by Bkhuna; November 27, 2019, 07:34 AM.

Comment

Thank you so much for this post!! My fam does it a little different on thanksgiving. I smoke a brisket! And tomorrow I’m doing two waygu briskets from HEB. Both 15lbs. I’ve used Meatheads recipe for about 5 yrs and I’ve had many family and friends tell me it’s the best brisket they have ever had!
                  so I wondered the same thing. Does it cook a little bit quicker since it’s more tender
                  thanks. Kevin.

Comment

Thanks bkhuna
                    your post caused me to read up on wagyu. 😊
                    I'm 5 hours into the smoke. Salted yesterday. Rubbed w pepper right before the smoke tonight and injected the flat with beef broth. It’s at 95° At the moment. Thanks to all the cautionary tales posted, I’ve got my temp gauge app poised to wake me up anytime tonight if it hits temp.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here