Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friendsgiving - Prime Rib

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friendsgiving - Prime Rib

Hi Ladies and Gentlemen! I'm having the gang over this Sunday for our 3rd annual Friendsgiving. I have done turkey the previous two years, but thought about mixing it up and doing prime rib! I will try to post pics of all of the food to this thread as well. I do have a couple questions though:

1) I've been to Sam's, Costco, and a couple butchers around here, and the best grade I can find is Choice. Will it still be worth it if I settle for choice rather than prime?
    2) How big of one do I need? Right now, this is the only protein, and there will be at least four or five side dishes. I've counted 6 men, 3 women, and two kids around 5.
    2B) Does the weight include weight of bones (rookie question I know)?

You guys/gals are the best!

In my opinion:
    1. Absolutely. Dry brine well in advance, and don't overcook!
    2. At the very least 1/4lb raw weight per person, but if you go 1/2lb+ raw weight per person you will be good. 1lb raw weight you are golden, can pig out, and still have leftovers. 2 kids might be like 1 adult's appetite or less, or perhaps even non existent if you feed them hotdogs!
    2B. To be on the safe side, no, try to guesstimate meat only.

Comment

• Ground Chuck
      Ground Chuck commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, brother! Also, I hope I placed this in the proper channel. I tried following suit on another Friendsgiving Prime Rib post .

One follow-up question, in comparing Choice Prime Rib from Sam's and Costco, Sam's says Angus, whereas Costco makes no mention. I feel like I read my buddy Troutman say one time to get Angus, although I don't think he was specifically referring to Prime Rib. For comparison, Costco is 10.69/lb, Sam's Angus is 10.98/lb, and the local butcher was 12.99/lb. My wife also tried some other butcher that gave her 19.99/lb (surely this has to be Prime).

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      If it's "Certified Angus" then it's supposed to be the upper tier of Choice, which means really good stuff. If it just says "Angus" that can be simple marketing, in other words meaningless. Honestly, even if that butcher's $19.99/lb *is* Prime, in a 10lb roast that's an extra $90. In a 6lb roast that's an extra $54. Personally I would be leery of that. Choice is still really good if you're getting a prime rib.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      certified Angus is choice grade 1 or 2. Just Angus means it was a black cow...

Selection is key. Make you you pick the one with the most marbling.

And buy that sucker today. With a thick cut like that, I'd go 48 hours minimum, or as long as possible if less than that.
    Last edited by RonB; November 22, 2019, 02:23 PM.

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee - Yes - dry brine...

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      So, I picked up one of these CAB choice 6 lb prime rib roasts in vacuum pack today. Grilling Thursday alongside Turkey. Should I start dry brining tonght? and do you cover your beef dry brine, seems to me I remember something about dry brining in here done uncovered. Thank you in advance.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Richard Chrz - Brine now, I don't cover it, but you can. Just make sure you pat it dry before you sear it.

I always went by 1 rib per 2 persons. So that would be a 5 rib roast.

Large end roast has more of the eye and less of the cap. Small end has more cap and part of the chuck, smaller eye. I’m a small end roast guy. So for me, with your count, it would be two 3 rib roasts from the small end as marbled as you can get.

and definitely dry brine for 48 hours.

Comment

I had to think back 3 months ago, but we served a Wal-Mart Black Angus Special Select Choice large end rib eye roast. It served 7 large adults with some left overs. Delicious piece of meat. It was 3 bone 3.75 lbs. roast. I used the standard dry brine for 3 days a lb. Tie the bones to the roast while brining. When I am ready to smoke I take the bones off once again and cover the roast with fresh pepper and garlic or fresh horseradish, your preference. Tie the bones back on.

Well good luck and I would probably get a little larger roast than I had just to be sure to have plenty.

I like to cook it as you would in the oven, 325. Each end will be med-med rare moving to rare in the center.
      Last edited by mountainsmoker; November 22, 2019, 05:40 PM.

Comment

5 bone roast, yes it's worth it. Remove the bones to get crust all the way around. Dry brine 1-2 days in advance. Slather in hot sauce or Worcestershire sauce then coat with a salt free beef rub (I use my brisket rub). Smoke over oak/mesquite at 225° until 120° internal then pull and let cool to room temp. Blast at 500° for 30 minutes. Remove, slice immediately and serve with horseradish sauce.
        Last edited by texastweeter; November 22, 2019, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Dang and to think all were having is duckling. Now I want prime rib. Enjoy yours for sure !!

Comment

Does your Costco have Prime Ribeye Roast in the vacuum pack? That is Prime, Prime Rib. Cut what you need for the roast and then cut the rest into thick steaks.

Comment

• Ground Chuck
              Ground Chuck commented
              Editing a comment
              Will have to look into this!

Minimum 4 bone and take a 5 boner if you can. All day your are good.

Comment

Rub with Meathead’s cow crust. After dry brine. Very good on rib roast!

Comment

My take on Prime Rib
              Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpeg
Views:	234
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	772003

Name:	2.jpeg
Views:	242
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	772004

Name:	3.jpeg
Views:	209
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	772005

Name:	4.jpeg
Views:	214
Size:	187.5 KB
ID:	772006Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpeg
Views:	240
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	772007Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpeg
Views:	218
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	772008

Comment

• barelfly
                barelfly commented
                Editing a comment
                This did it.....time to go find a rib roast! Hahah. In fact, I may have a small boneless roast in the freezer....one of my 42 day dry aged roasts. At least I hope I do!

You have some great advice here. I did like the point of buying a whole rib roast and cutting off what you need and then slicing the remainder into steaks. I buy whole rib now a few times a year and dry aged them and slice up. Usually leave myself a smaller rib roast for the four of us in the family.

Have ve fun with whatever you go with and way of cooking!

Comment

• Ground Chuck
                Ground Chuck commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here