Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Excellent Tri Tip marbling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent Tri Tip marbling

Picked up this Choice Tri Tip at Costco yesterday. I was surprised at the marbling.

Abnormal or average for Costco Choice?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_102991.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	769721
    Last edited by SpeedyB; November 16, 2019, 02:02 PM.

The photo isn’t loading for me.

Comment

tbob4 inserted into the first post. Try now

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Worked this time!! Thanks. I always check Costco’s Choice vs Prime. Sometimes the Choice looks better than their prime and it is a significant $$ savings. That’s a really nice looking pack you found.

We don't get tri tips here in Va. That looks good to me!

Comment

• KarchyBBQ
        KarchyBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        If you’re near McLean, The Organic Butcher can get them for you!

Looks about like the choice tri tips I get at my grocery store. That’s blade tenderized...might wanna cook sous vide to pasteurize.

Comment

• Red Man
        Red Man commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, what HawkerXP said. Any surface contamination gets pushed into the middle.

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        HawkerXP Red Man

Yeah Cooties!

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        "Cooties" , how scientific. Those look exactly like ones I buy at my local Costco and they are not blade tenderized. Read the label to be sure.

http://completecarnivore.com/beware-...erized-steaks/ her is an article about blade tenderizing SpeedyB , it was posted by JoeSousa . I to recently learned about blade tenderizing and am so disappointed being how excited I was about Costco meat selection

Comment

• SpeedyB
        SpeedyB commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. Disappointing but I think we'll be ok

Thanks all.

140 degree IT should take care of it, no?

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        It takes 12 min @ 140* to reach 7-log10 lethality.

• RustyHaines
        RustyHaines commented
        Editing a comment
        Cooking that meat to 140 is a crime in my jurisdiction :-)

Looks about right.

Just cook it how you will. You don’t ever worry about winning the lotto do you?

okay, no hate mail please.

Comment

• SpeedyB
        SpeedyB commented
        Editing a comment
        Haha. My family is of Lebanese descent and we have eaten raw ground beef for 39 years of my life and I've been fine. I guess I take a slightly different perspective.

We’ve bought probably two dozen of those Costco TTs. I cook my steaks rare to medium rare, hardly ever go much over 130* and I’m still here kicking. Man the hell up and go cook you some rare steaks.

Comment

Troutman

In case you can't see it, reads blade tenderized

Click image for larger version  Name:	20191116_174150.jpg Views:	0 Size:	974.8 KB ID:	769876
        Last edited by SpeedyB; November 16, 2019, 06:43 PM.

Comment

That's a pretty typical Costco choice tri tip. I grilled a lot of them before I notice the fine print, and I'm still alive to tell the story. But it's hard to tell if the erratic behavior is from that or the whiskey consumption or the alien abduction.

Now that I know, if I buy from Costco it's sous vide. Otherwise, I'm very happy with the choice tri tip from Sprouts - similar marbling. It's hit and miss on how well they trim them (as in, occasionally with a chainsaw), but nothing I can't deal with. Whatever I have to trim to fix it goes in the sausage bag.

Comment

Maybe Costco takes a little more care in beef processing than your average retailer...
            http://www.costcoconnection.com/conn...ticleId1500872

"And inspections continue at the two plants. In 2018, Costco conducted 21,829 E. coli tests, nearly as many as the 23,627 tests the USDA conducted for the entire country."

Personally, I think I'll sous vide my steaks if they are blade tenderized.
            Last edited by treesmacker; November 16, 2019, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Im with Troutman and HouseHomey on this one, lol. Just cook them as you normally would.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here