Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry Chuck Roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry Chuck Roast

I just did what I thought was going to be a simple cook - a 5 lb chuck roast that I'm using for chili. I seasoned it and put it on the Silverbac at 275 and took it off at 180. I let it rest and cubed it and noticed that it seemed pretty dry. At 180 I thought it would be fairly moist. I've never made chuck roast before and the only thing I noticed is that there didn't seem to be much fat on the meat.

Is there anything I could have done differently here either in the cook or in the cut of meat?

It must have been a really lean piece of chuck roast to not have much visible fat. Also, taking it to only 180 likely didn't melt enough of what was in it. Regardless, it's going into chili, so I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Comment

Qvq

Comment

Did you get it from Costco? They can be like that sometimes. I like to finish mine in the BBQ in a Dutch oven with a tablespoon of olive oil, diced onions, peppers and a little garlic.

Comment

• JGo37
          JGo37 commented
          Editing a comment
          and that's also the next step in making it into chili...

Here's an example of what I look for in a chuck roast that will finish juicy. Good intramuscular fat:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0225.jpeg
Views:	333
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	768671

Comment

• MtView
          MtView commented
          Editing a comment
          Good to know. There was virtually no marbling. I should have said something. The chili came out great anyway.

• fuzzydaddy
          fuzzydaddy commented
          Editing a comment
          MtView It's good to hear your chili was great! I wrap my chuck roasts after I like the bark to capture some of the rendered fat to add back if needed. If not wrapping, then on a rack with a pan under to capture juices.

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          Glad to hear the Chili came out great. I am doing a chuck roast for tacos tomorrow night. I will give you some photos of my method - with that said, it better turn out as I expect it to. On a side note - I bought it at Costco tonight - Prime - and it has some fat and marbling. They must be reading our thread in Chico.

But it will come out tender after spending a couple hours simmering in beef stock...

Comment

• MtView
          MtView commented
          Editing a comment
          At least I meant to make chili so it wasn’t too discouraging . It did come out very tender after simmering.

I recently did my first too. Cooked to 180 and the whole thing was dry. So like stated above I simmered the slices in beef broth for a few hours and it turned out good. Next time I’m taking the chuck to 203 internal.

Comment

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          Do what JGo37 says. It is similar to my Dutch oven method. A Dutch oven is really just a thick reusable wrap.

• Andrrr
          Andrrr commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks both for the feedback. What internal temp do you consider "after the stall"?

• JGo37
          JGo37 commented
          Editing a comment
          Andrrr usually between 150 - 165 F, 'after the stall' is when the temp starts to climb again after topping out for 30 mins to 2 hours. Sometimes there is no stall, but that's rare. After ~ 165F you get very little added smoke flavor, so wrapping doesn't detract from anything other than added bark.

I smoke two 2.25 lb cuckies this week end SV over nite at 130 , ran pellet pooper at 275 for about 3 hour's with smoke tube, then wrapped in foil til internal temp was near 185 pulled off and left in foil. let them rest a couple hours then in the fridge overnite for Sunday chilies. Mine very were dry also. But you could not tell it in the chili.

Comment

I sometimes smoke them in a foil pan to catch the drippings. You can then use the drippings and some of the fat to add back in. That may not solve dry chunks of chuck though. I think the particular roast could be the culprit.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve R. View Post
            It must have been a really lean piece of chuck roast to not have much visible fat. Also, taking it to only 180 likely didn't melt enough of what was in it. Regardless, it's going into chili, so I wouldn't sweat it too much.
            It was very lean and I told the butcher what I was going to do with it. He used to have a commercial smoking business so I figured he gave me what I needed for the cook. Next time I’ll definitely say something.

Comment

Originally posted by tbob4 View Post
              Did you get it from Costco? They can be like that sometimes. I like to finish mine in the BBQ in a Dutch oven with a tablespoon of olive oil, diced onions, peppers and a little garlic.
              That sounds interesting. When do you move out into the Dutch oven?

Comment

• tbob4
                tbob4 commented
                Editing a comment
                At 4-5 hours. I leave the Dutch oven in the BBQ, covered. I stir and when it begins to pull I decide whether to continue with the lid on or off, depending on consistency.

Originally posted by randy56 View Post
              I smoke two 2.25 lb cuckies this week end SV over nite at 130 , ran pellet pooper at 275 for about 3 hour's with smoke tube, then wrapped in foil til internal temp was near 185 pulled off and left in foil. let them rest a couple hours then in the fridge overnite for Sunday chilies. Mine very were dry also. But you could not tell it in the chili.
              The chili definitely saved it for me. Next time I’m going to look for the marbling. The funny thing is I started the cook thinking there was no way I could screw this one up... said everyone who was about to screw it up.
              Last edited by MtView; November 14, 2019, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here