Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime Rib

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prime Rib

I've been asked to cook a prime rib on a friends treager. Any tips/suggestions to insure success?

I followed the prime rib recipe on here.

Definitely need to trim a lot of fat off. Boneless is always nice. Nice dry brine. Low and slow and a reverse sear rocks. I wish I could have cooked the one I did just to medium-rare. Alas someone from the church had me cook it for them.

Comment

• Dr ROK
      Dr ROK commented
      Editing a comment
      Can you do a reverse sear on a pellet grill?

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Would need some upside down grillgrates for some conductive activity. Or have a small charcoal grill on standby for the reverse portion of the show.

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I wouldn't plan on using the pellet grill for the sear portion. Go with charcoal or gas if you can.

I have a Weber dedicated for the reverse sear. I now have six Weber's so numbers wise, it is an easy decision. I have three fire brick I use to raise the coal grate to within a few inches of the food grate. You can find old Weber's on craigslist pretty cheaply and use it only for reverse sear cooks

Comment

Like Jerod says trim it well, and dry brine generously and well, for say 2 or 3 days. Take it no further than 135. I'd pull it at 130 after searing and carryover will probably raise it to 135 by the time you slice & serve. FLBuckeye & the others have a great suggestion about using a Weber kettle for searing, you could even use a Smokey Joe (14.5" mini) for searing too, Jerod and I do/have done that. They're $30 at home Depot and worth every penny.

Comment

Should I dry brine covered with plastic wrap or leave it uncovered?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Editing a comment
          Leave it uncovered. Unless there is possible cross contamination.

I like to render some of the fat down that gets trimmed off the roast and brush it on right before the sear. The board sauce mentioned in meatheads recipe definitely takes the roast to another level in my opinion.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Editing a comment
          Love me some beef love.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here