Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

SOLD OUT! Secure your spot on our waitlist now. First-come, first-served!
Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
See more
See less

Out with the Old and In with the New. First New Smoker meal - Short Ribs !!! on Oklahoma Joe Bronco.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dlaslo
    Charter Member
    • Jul 2015
    • Venice, FL

Out with the Old and In with the New. First New Smoker meal - Short Ribs !!! on Oklahoma Joe Bronco.

I had too many grills and smokers. The solution was to keep the Weber Gas Grill, sell the Weber charcoal kettle grill and the Camp Chef pellet smoker and replace them with an Oklahoma Joe Bronco - which can smoke and grill (but not at the same time) and the small footprint will free up real estate in our Lanai. The Oklahoma Joe was a platinum choice by Meathead.

I found the Oklahoma Joe marked down to $150 at a Walmart over an hour away and it turned out to be fake news. When I got there they didn't have any although it was still showing as available on the web.

Bummer - I ended up finding one at a Walmart close to home for $249.

I wandered into a local butcher shop for the first time and saw they had hardly anything to BBQ. But they did have some good looking beef ribs. Short ribs about 1.5 in thick. Sold!! Got a 4 rib rack -- about 2.5 lbs - for my wife and I.

Then I realized I no longer had the Camp Chef smoker dual temperature probes for grill and food. So back to the AmazingRibs equipment reviews for thermometers. I had settled on the ThermoWorks "Smoke" but the on-line purchase would take too long. So I rummage around locally and found that there were slim pickin's out there. The high end places - William Sonoma and my local Grill only store didn't have anything!! Then I found the Weber iGrill 2 probe at Lowe's discounted 50%. I didn't like that they were Bluetooth (after reading Meathead's diss on all things Bluetooth) but they were a Gold medal and I grabbed them.

In the past, I had a Weber Smokey Mountain smoker and preferred the results of cooking in it versus my Camp Chef pellet. I never quite got those really good results with pellets. B plus but never A. The convenience of the pellet grill, however, made it the go-to smoker. But when we moved to a different state, I forgot the Weber smoker - which was behind the shed and didn't get a ride in the moving van.

My first smoke in the Bronco was going to be something I never attempted in any smoker - beef ribs. So off I went to the Amazingribs site once again for recipe and technique. I dry brine the ribs for 24 hours and sprinkled them with Big Bad Beef Rub and got the smoker going.

And Meathead was right about the Bluetooth. I got good results with my iPhone iGrill APP until I went around a corner of the house and even though I was only about 5 yds away, I lost the connection. Only thing in it's way was a screen door and the corner of the house. The master bedroom is on the other side of the wall from the smoker and I can look out the window and see the iGrill. But even that close was problematic. Reception would come and go.

So, I took a different route. I paired the Weber iGrill APP on an old iPad and left it on a nearby table outside near the smoker and always had Bluetooth reception after that.

I set up the iGrill2 for food and grill temperature monitoring and was surprised to see the Bronco thermometer was off by over 25 degrees compared to the iGrill. So I controlled temperature to the iGrill.

The time estimate in the recipe to reach 203 degrees was about 7 hours and that is how long it took. I only opened the lid twice and never moved the ribs -- At the end I checked the meat temperature with a handheld Thermoworks and there was a gradient from 205F on one side of the ribs to 200 on the other. The thickness of the meat looked the same so it must be the variations in the grill. I think I'll buy another probe and monitor grill temperature in two places next time as well as move the ribs around during cooking.

I am really, really sorry I didn't video or photograph this. The final ribs were beautiful with a bark that was a dual temptation. One temptation said "EAT NOW!, and the other was "I'm TOO BEAUTIFUL TO EAT - LEAVE ME ALONE!!!"

But the trials and tribulations were worth it. This was the best tasting BBQ meat I have had. Period. Better than brisket. Better than pork ribs. Better than sausage. Better than poultry. FIVE STARS
    Last edited by dlaslo; November 10, 2019, 05:14 AM.
  • Oakgrovebacon
    Club Member
    • Apr 2016
    • South central Illinois

It sounds like you hit a home run on the first cook on a new smoker! You probably can’t wait to cook in it again.

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Founding Member
      • Jul 2014
      • The Poconos, NEPA
      • Smoker:
        Landmann Smoke Master Series Heavy Duty Barrel Smoker (COS) - With mods including 2 level rack system with pull-out grates
        Masterbuilt 40.2" 1200W Electric Smoker
        Masterbuilt ThermoTemp XL 40" Vertical Propane Smoker

Gas Grill:
        BBQPro (cheap big box store model) Stainless steel 4 burnerswith aftermarket rotisserie.

Charcoal Grill:
        Weber Smokey Joe Charcoal Grill 14"

Thermometer:​​​​​​
        Fireboard 2 with Drive cable and 20 CFM fan and Competition Probe Package
        Fireboard 1st Generation
        ThermoWorks Mini Instant Read
        Lavaworks Thermowand Instant Read
        2 Maverick 733
        ThermoWorks IR-GUN-S Industrial Infrared Thermometer
        ThermoWorks ThermaPen Mk4 x 2
        Govee Bluetooth Thermometer with 6 probes

Miscellaneous:
        Anova Sous Vide Immersion Circulator - 1st generation
        Anova Sous Vide Immersion Circulator - wifi/bluetooth connected

Favorite Beer:
        Anything to the dark side and malty rather than hoppy. Currently liking Yuengling Porter and Newcastle Brown Ale. In a bar or pub I will often default to Guiness

Favorite Spirit:
        Bourbon - Eagle Rare for "every day"; Angel's Envy for special occasions, Basil Hayden's, Larceny

Favorite Wine:
        Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon Super Tuscan Sangiovese (Including Chianti Classico Riserva) Brunello di Montalcino

Favorite Meat(s):
        Pork - especially the darker meat. I love spare ribs and anything made from shoulder/butt meat
        Chicken - Mainly the dark meat and wings
        Beef Ribeye steak

Favorite Cuisine to Cook:
        Can't list just one: Indian, Chinese, Thai, West Indian/Carribean, Hispanic/Latin American, Ethiopian, Italian, BBQ

Favorite Cuisine to Eat:
        Indian, followed closely by BBQ.

Disqus ID:
        David E. Waterbury

Without pics it didn't happen! You'll just have to do it again!
      Last edited by Dewesq55; November 10, 2019, 08:50 AM. Reason: Autocorrect typo

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        + 1

• treesmacker
        treesmacker commented
        Editing a comment
        + 1 more

• randy56
        randy56 commented
        Editing a comment
        +2
    • fzxdoc
      Founding Member
      • Jul 2014
      • My toys:
        Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center (WSCGC) aka Mr. Fancypants
        Pit Barrel Cooker (which rocks)
        Weber Summit S650 Gas Grill
        Weber Kettle Premium 22"
        Weber Jumbo Joe Premium 22" (a weird little 22" kettle mutant on 22"-long legs) (donated to local battered women's shelter.)
        Camp Chef Somerset IV 4-burner outdoor gas range

Adrenaline BBQ Company's SnS, DnG and Large Charcoal Basket for WSCGC
        Adrenaline BBQ Company's Elevated SS Rack for WSCGC
        Adrenaline BBQ Company's SS Rack for DnG
        Grill Grate for SnS
        Grill Grates: five 17.375 sections (retired to storage)
        Grill Grates: six 19.25 panels for exact fit for Summit S650 gasser
        2 Grill Grate Griddles
        Steelmade Griddle for Summit gas grill

Fireboard Extreme BBQ Thermometer Package
        Fireboard control unit in addition to that in the Extreme BBQ Package
        Additional Fireboard probes: Competition Probes 1" (3) and 4" (1), 3 additional Ambient Probes. 1 additional Food Probe
        2 Fireboard Driver Cables
        Pit Viper Fan (to pair with Fireboard Fan Driver Cable)
        Pit Viper Fan new design (to pair with Fireboard Fan Driver Cable)
        Thermoworks Thermapen MK5 (pink)
        Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 (pink too)
        Thermoworks Temp Test 2 Smart Thermometer
        Thermoworks Extra Big and Loud Timer
        Thermoworks Timestick Trio
        Maverick ET 73 a little workhorse with limited range
        Maverick ET 733
        Maverick (Ivation) ET 732

Grill Pinz
        Vortex (two of them)

Two Joule Sous Vide devices
        VacMaster Pro 350 Vacuum Sealer
        Instant Pot 6 Quart Electric Pressure Cooker
        Instant Pot 10 Quart Electric Pressure Cooker
        Charcoal Companion TurboQue
        A-Maze-N tube 12 inch tube smoker accessory for use with pellets

BBQ Dragon and Dragon Chimney

Shun Classic 8" Chef's Knife
        Shun Classic 6" Chef's Knife
        Shun Classic Gokujo Boning and Fillet Knife
        Shun Classic 3 1/2 inch Paring Knife

Sounds like your OJBronco is a winner. Enjoy cooking on it.

Kathryn

Comment

• jfmorris
        Club Member
        • Nov 2017
        • Huntsville, Alabama
        • Jim Morris

Cookers
          • Camp Chef FTG900 Flat Top Grill (2020)
          • Weber Genesis II E-410 w/ GrillGrates (2019)
          • Weber Performer Deluxe 22.5" w/ GrillGrates & Slow 'N Sear & Drip ‘N Griddle & Party Q (2007)
          • Custom Built Offset Smoker (304SS, 22"x34" grate, circa 1985)
          • King Kooker 94/90TKD 105K/60K dual burner patio stove
          • Lodge L8D03 5 quart dutch oven
          • Lodge L10SK3 12" skillet
          • Anova
          Thermometers
          • Thermoworks Smoke w/ Wifi Gateway
          • Thermoworks Dot
          • Thermoworks Thermapen Classic
          • Thermoworks RT600C
          Beverages
          • Whatever I brewed and have on tap!

dlaslo Great news on the Bronco, and glad your first cook with it came out so well!

I can certainly sympathize with the too many cookers issue. Right now I’m storing grills for each of my 3 kids and their spouses (2 are in apartments that don’t allow grills, the other gets married in May), plus 3 more cookers for myself. It’s a big jumble of grills to navigate at the end of the house right now! Thankfully they all have wheels as I am having to shuffle them around a lot.

I’ve got a Thermoworks Smoke, and really like it, but if you decide to get something that isn’t Bluetooth I recommend the Maverick XR-50, as it has better range than the Smoke. I found that more than 2 walls between me and the smoker blocks the signal from the Smoke.

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
          PaulstheRibList commented
          Editing a comment
          So much cooker action! Picture??

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          PaulstheRibList I posted a picture when I just had a line of 5 cookers, now that the 6th one is there, I'll have to snap another pic. I'll be out in the yard winterizing hoses and sprinklers and what not before it hits 25 tonight (and 20 tomorrow), so will try and remember.

Right now I have several of the cookers turned end to the house, back to back, and just have to roll them out in front and turn lengthwise to use...
      • texastweeter
        Club Member
        • Jul 2017
        • Republic of Texas

That epiphany moment when someone tries beef ribs, lol. Gets me every time. Congrats on the cook. Go get you a Maverick XR, and you will be set.

Comment

• RonB
          Club Member
          • Apr 2016
          • Near Richmond VA
          • Weber Performer Deluxe
            SNS
            Pizza insert
            Rotisserie
            Smokenator 1000
            Cookshack Smokette Elite
            2 Thermapens
            Chefalarm
            Dot
            lots of probes.
            CyberQ

Congrats. Short ribs are my favorite.

Comment

• Bobmcgahan
            Former Member
            • Jul 2018

What kind of charcoal/fuel did you use?

Comment

• dlaslo
              dlaslo commented
              Editing a comment
              Kingford charcoal and hickory lumps
          • tbob4
            Charter Member
            • Nov 2014
            • Chico, CA
            • BBQ's
              Vision Grill

Beer

Wood
              Cherry
              Peach
              Apple

Great information. It looks like quite a few people on the site are buying the cooker. What was the outside temp during the cook, what fuel did you use and how much was left at the end? Only asking because you do a great job describing your experience and I am guessing the other Oklahoma Joe owners are reading the post are taking notes.

Comment

• dlaslo
              dlaslo commented
              Editing a comment
              There was about 1/4 of the briquettes left but I started with maybe 80% full. SO 7.5 hours.....about right.

Outside temp was in th low 80s and fuel - see post above
          • Troutman
            Club Member
            • Aug 2017
            • Tejas, Where Else?

• OUTDOOR COOKERS

BBQ ACCESSORIES

WOOD & PELLET PREFERENCES

SOUS VIDE

INDOOR COOKWARE

Great story but lacking pictures. Show us your wears !!!

Comment

• mountainsmoker
              Banned Former Member
              • Jun 2019
              • Bryson City, NC

Thanks for the write up. I feel strongly that the Bronco is a better smoker than the PBC. The vent system alone is better, as well as the bars that hold the meat which don't extend outside the barrel. It also handles grilling better.

Comment

• Nate
                Nate commented
                Editing a comment
                Weird... nobody was talking about a PBC yet you turned it into a post about your continually overstated opinion about the PBC. It is kind of like a passive aggressive way to keep poking people in the pit.

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

SOLD OUT! Secure your spot on our waitlist now. First-come, first-served!
            Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
            See more
            See less
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Meat-Up in Memphis

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These Are Some Of Our Favorite Tools And Toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use our links when you buy things

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon

If you have a Weber Kettle, you need the Slow 'N' Sear

slow n sear
            The Slow 'N' Sear turns your grill into a first class smoker and also creates an extremely hot sear zone you can use to create steakhouse steaks.

Click here for our article on this breakthrough tool

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

the good one grill
            The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read our complete review

Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
            The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, and home fries. Or pancakes, fajitas, grilled cheese, you name it. Why stink up the house deep frying and spatter all over? Do your fried chicken and calamari outside. Blackstone's Rangetop Combo With Deep Fryer does it all!

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
            The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Undisputed Champion!

thermapen
            The Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 is considered by the pros, and our team, to be the single best instant read thermometer. The MK4 includes features that are common on high-end instruments: automatic backlight and rotating display. Don't accept cheap substitutes.

Click here to read our comprehensive Platinum Medal review

Grilla Pellet Smoker proves good things come in small packages

Grilla pellet smoker
            We always liked Grilla. The small 31.5" x 29.5" footprint makes it ideal for use where BBQ space is limited, as on a condo patio.

Click here for our review on this unique smoker

Delta by Nuke,
            Stylish and Affordable
            Gaucho Grill

Weber Genesis Grill
            Delta by Nuke burns wood or charcoal and comes with an adjustable height grill grate. This Argentinian grill will get your flame on!

Genesis II E-335
            A Versatile Gasser That Does It All!

Weber Genesis Grill
            Webers Genesis line has long been one of the most popular choices for gas grillers. The new Genesis II E-335 offers solid performance, a sear burner for sizzling heat and an excellent warranty.

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared Zone

grill grates
            GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, kill hotspots, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily rmoved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

PK 360 grill
            The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it's easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is beautifully designed, completely portable, and much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order directly and get an exclusive AmazingRibs.com deal

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

kareubequ bbq smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.

Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

masterbuilt gas smoker
            This is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. Set ThermoTemp's dial from 175? to 350?F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin'.

Click here to read our detailed review

Digital Thermometers Are Your Most Valuable Tool And Here's A Great Buy!

maverick PT55 thermometer
            A good digital thermometer keeps you from serving dry overcooked food or dangerously undercooked food. They are much faster and much more accurate than dial thermometers. YOU NEED ONE!

Track Up To Six Temperatures At Once

Grilla pellet smoker
            FireBoard Drive 2 is an updated version of a well-received product that sets the standard for performance and functionality in the wireless food thermometer/thermostatic controller class.

Click here for our review of this unique device

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

NK-22-Ck Grill
            Napoleon's NK22CK-C Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It's hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the NK22CK-C a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Green Mountain Davey Crockett Grill
            Green Mountain's portable Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it's also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Davy Crocket from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order