Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hanging Chuckie on the PBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hanging Chuckie on the PBC

SWMBO was craving a traditional pot roast meal, but smoked Chuckie is her favorite thing I make, so... we had a 3 lber leftover from a Sam’s 2-pack. Dry brined it 24 hours.

Click image for larger version  Name:	9416CF4B-CCBF-4310-8F78-0B5839CE2534.jpeg Views:	7 Size:	3.45 MB ID:	766927

Used a mustard slather and hit it with Hank’s Bonafide Beef Rub and daisy chained hooks in it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	9BF8CA9E-DF5F-4C0D-AB38-CC03B85F987E.jpeg Views:	7 Size:	3.92 MB ID:	766929

PBC was lit using 15/10/10 method, 3 small mesquite chunks added, and I plugged 2 rebar holes with foil to keep temps down. Chuckie was hung at 10am.

Click image for larger version  Name:	8EEE3F9D-248D-4F93-8850-1179F1050E47.jpeg Views:	7 Size:	3.12 MB ID:	766928

At 1:15pm the barrel temp was 240F so I removed the foil plugs, it had run pretty hot early. Chuckie stalled at 175F. Four hours in at 2pm it hit 183F and the bark was set.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2081F5B9-A91E-4EA5-B60B-71715CF57378.jpeg Views:	7 Size:	4.62 MB ID:	766930

I removed it, put it in a foil pan and covered it and it went into the oven at 225F. At 3:50pm it 198F and I checked it but it wasn’t probe tender yet. Added a 1/4c of Worcestershire and put it back in and bumped the oven temp to 265F. At 4:30pm it hit 203F and was probe tender. Took it out and let it sit til 5pm.

Click image for larger version  Name:	C3E035B4-0914-4524-95D4-78CD3471BB67.jpeg Views:	7 Size:	4.98 MB ID:	766933

Separated it into large chunks, just as SWMBO prefers. She had roasted some potatoes and carrots and made gravy. Killer Fall comfort food, it just melted in your mouth.

Click image for larger version  Name:	EC791746-963A-406D-A3CE-74ECDE6E205B.jpeg Views:	7 Size:	4.69 MB ID:	766932

Click image for larger version  Name:	7558BDD4-A625-4E2D-A355-7BDB248E54BB.jpeg Views:	7 Size:	395.8 KB ID:	766931

If you haven’t tried Henrik ‘s beef rub, you should give it a try. So many beef rubs are just different combinations of peppery and spicy. His has that, but then comes in with a savory umami flavor that I don’t find in other beef rubs. It’s PERFECT for something like this cook, I think I’ll always keep some around just for this reason.
    Last edited by FishTalesNC; November 9, 2019, 06:06 PM.

Looks delicious!

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      You know the secret...

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      pbc, pbc, pbc…

Hank's Bonafide is my favorite beef rub, hands down. Hank's Signature is great also, and the two make a really nice combo.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      So glad you like them, thanks!

I'd eat that.

Comment

Oh my gosh. That looks so delectable.

Hope grandma and grampa love that PBC as much as you do.

Kathryn

Comment

Awesome! That’s THE way to smoke a chuckie. Very nice to hear you like the rubs, made my day!

Comment

• RustyHaines
          RustyHaines commented
          Editing a comment
          Henrik Amazon US says only 7 Beef Rubs left in stock !

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          I second @pkadare's request to @Henrik.
          I looked for Hanks KC Royale on Amazon.ca yesterday. Get some video cookbook!!!!
          Not exactly what I want....
          Beauty job on that chuckie.

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          I have started registering products under the .CA domain over at Amazon. Will need to ship to a Canadian warehouse. It's not available yet, but will be in the near future.

Sir Charles is in the smoke filled house !!!! Nicely done, and yes I like saying Bonifide !!!

Comment

Henrik this is your product?
          Attached Files

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, it is.

I'm not Henrik , but it is indeed his product, SpeedyB . You can't go wrong with it. Delicious.

A wonderful flavor balance in each of his rubs, without too much salt. Salt is cheap, and so many commercial recipes pack it in instead of adding a good flavor profile like Henrik does. I'm using his Pork and Poultry Rub on my "Thanksgiving" turkeys breasts, which I'm cooking tomorrow.

Kathryn
          Last edited by fzxdoc; November 17, 2019, 12:09 AM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            SpeedyB , you had asked the question of Henrik, so I began my answer with the disclaimer that I'm not Henrik, but was answering anyway.

K.

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Great to hear!

• SpeedyB
            SpeedyB commented
            Editing a comment
            fzxdoc thank you

So, as I've posted earlier, my first experience with attempting to smoke a chuck roast on the PBC was less than glorious. I figured out, and several others in this thread confirmed, you need to stay away from the bone-in "steak" type and get a boneless, nicely marbled, roast. Yesterday, local grocery had these on sale so I got a 4 lb roast. Simple salt dry brine for about 16 hours. Got up this morning, fired up the PBC using Kathryn's method, and put the double-hooked roast, with a simple steak rub from Williams Sonoma (it was a gift), on at 7:30 am. Had to foil plug some of the rebar holes to get the temp down. At 11:30 am, it had hit 160 degrees so I took it off, wrapped in it foil. One hour later, it hit 203 and I took off and put in a styrofoam cooler. Let sit for an hour and fifteen minutes. Wow! Great smoke ring and cut like butter. Could not believe how juicy this thing was. Moist throughout the entire roast. Most importantly, wife and daughter are stunned at how well it turned out. Truly addicting. See photos. Thanks for reading.
          Attached Files

Comment

Wonderful! There's nothing quite like a chuckie on the PBC. I'm so happy to see that yours turned out so well. A well-marbled chuck roast is the key, though, no matter which type of cooker you use.

It's good to hear that you got some hearty family kudos. Those are the best, Bobmcgahan

Kathryn

Comment

Next time invite me. That looks amazing.

Comment

Chuckies have been my go to for chili this season. They work great!
                Last edited by Spinaker; November 18, 2019, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here