Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time trying the cold-grate technique (thinner steaks)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meathead
    commented on 's reply
    Couldn't have said it better.

• IowaGirl
    commented on 's reply
    Thank goodness for low res videos. They may be passe for y'all with broadband, but I'm stuck with satellite internet and restricted bandwidth. If HD video was the only game in town, I'd not be able to watch much.

• Matt1226
    replied
    Originally posted by TBoneJack View Post
    That "Cold Grate Technique" is a sales pitch to get people to buy Adrenaline BBQ's cooking grate. The same can be easily done on the Kettle's stock grate.
    The cold grate technique is just that; a technique. It’s not a product so not sure what point you’re wanting to make here?

Leave a comment:

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    They look great. Yea thin steaks can be tricky, you did well. Don't get too excited about smoke btw. The sear and subsequent Maillard reaction is going to give you flavor over a short span. Your not cooking long enough to take on much smoke.

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    I honestly don't see slamming ABC over his grates. The technique is the method of cooking, doesn't matter what type of grate you use.

• Michael_in_TX
    commented on 's reply
    Wow, what a fascinating video! (Also, how bad 240p videos look on modern screens.) I suspect this was before the "Dr. Blonder Era," with no mention of dry brining and no use of meat thermometers. (Also, "Craig.") Also highlights that there are many ways to get to a great steak.

• Mosca
    replied
    People forget that steaks were still really great before reverse sear. There was a video that Meathead did with Jamie Purviance, where they compared "reverse sear" with "sear and slide": they both agreed that steak is really good.

on my grills, sear and slide is simpler, and that’s what I do.

Last edited by Mosca; November 10, 2019, 10:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• holehogg
    commented on 's reply
    I concur with the above.

• Elton's BBQ
    commented on 's reply
    Looks fine!

• klflowers
    replied
    I used the cold grate method on some pretty thick porterhouse steaks. Just the standard kettle grate i lifted it and moved it. Best steaks I have ever cooked.

Leave a comment:

• Michael_in_TX
    commented on 's reply
    My grates were decently clean, although they could have been a tad cleaner. I used canola oil. I thought about using a really high smoke-point oil, such as avocado, but I see many just using straight up olive oil for searing over direct coals.

• tbob4
    commented on 's reply
    I wouldn't expect a thinner steak to get a smoke flavor. It can have the aroma of wood which is nice. Pepper should not make it taste burned. Were your grates clean or if they were, did you have a lower temp oil on them? Sometimes residue from a previous cook can get on the surface of the meat and make it taste that way as could certain oils.
    Last edited by tbob4; November 10, 2019, 10:49 AM.

• Michael_in_TX
    replied
    Two other things I think I will do differently. I think I will salt more for the dry brine. I did the 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt per pound of meat, but it could have used a bit more.

Also, I am wondering if the slightly "burnt" taste wasn't the fat -- after all, I was eating around the fat on the edges -- but rather the cracked black pepper burning on the surface of the meat during the sear. I think I'll try peppering the steak after the sear.

Leave a comment:

• jecucolo
    commented on 's reply
    Looks excellent!

• tbob4
    commented on 's reply
    That looks pretty darn good and rare to me! Good job.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here