Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help Needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Needed!

I wanted to do a smoked Chuck Roast for Sunday dinner. However, I’ve purchased the pictured 3lb. "Eye Round Roast". Is this prepared the same as a "Chuck" roast – low & slow to internal of 180° for slicing?
    Attached Files

Not really. This is pretty lean cut. It would do good to Sous vide it and the put some smoke on it. I think it is used for stew.

Comment

I second the 'not a good idea' to try to do a chuckie cook with the eye roast. I have thin cut it for breakfast steak & eggs on a Blackstone. I've sliced it down for jerky. It would be great for Instant Pot beef dishes.

Another idea for a dish tomorrow, something braised.
      Last edited by JGo37; November 2, 2019, 02:22 PM.

Comment

I would save this to make some jerky. I’d run back to the store and grab some chuck roast.

Comment

I've smoked these at 325 or Sous Vide and then smoke for cold beef sandwiches. Very Good that way for me.

Comment

Pit smokers love fatty cuts. It will dry up on you in a heartbeat. Slice it up thin and turn it into wiener schitzel. (Egg then breadcrumbs) toss in the freezer and save for when you want a quick meal.

Comment

Thanks! The Boss is heading back to the store to buy a proper roast. This is only fair, since she should have known better than to have entrusted me with the initial mission.

Comment

I've done round roast on our Keg and it came out really well if I do say so myself.
                Internal temp of 180 sounds about right, I smoked mine at about 275.
                I'd have no qualms about doing another round on the smoker.

Comment

It makes a good braised stew with some wine and tomato base and veggies added..

Comment

jerky or Baltimore Pit Beef on the free site. See recipe below:

If you've dreaded stuff that passes for roast beef and wished you could find the real deal then this Baltimore pit beef recipe is for you.

Comment

Thanks for your help - I'm sure this will work much better for tonight's dinner!
                      Attached Files

Comment

• jecucolo
                        jecucolo commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That is better!

I have ground those on more than one occasion for meatballs and burgers. It has a nice silky texture when ground. Of course i added some fat.

Comment

As texastweeter said, the Baltimore Pit Beef recipe on the free site is perfect for an eye round roast. I did it this Saturday. It was delicious. Give it a try!

Comment

Jerky!!! My son is between apartments and staying with us for a week or so, and I made some jerky for him with that cut. Lasted maybe 2 days...

Comment

I am probably late on this but butter exterior thickly... salt, season set oven to wicked hot as hot your oven will go 5 min per pound. shut off oven leave unmolested for 2 hours.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here